• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2011 shortlist

Started by Carole, Aug 13, 2011, 10:24:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Judging is under way for the Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2011. These are some of the shortlisted entries. Winners will be announced on 8 September and will go on display the following day at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich. The exhibition is free and will run until February 2012

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/gallery/2011/aug/12/astronomy-photographer-year-2011-shortlist#/?picture=377796405&index=0

Haven't managed to find the complete short list as yet.  I am sure some-one will oblige.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Whitters

I thought this was an astronomical competition, not a landscape one. Also lots of simmilar subject matter.

Mike

There are only 4 out of that lot worthy of being entered. The rest are nice photographs but certainly not eligible for 'Astronomy Photographer of the Year'.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Also, those 4 are taken by professional observatories! Sheesh!!  :roll:

Useless competition.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

How do we know these are shortlisted entries - just because The Guardian says so?

There is no list of shortlisted entries at the official competition website - maybe The Guardian is guilty of hacking into the judges' phones  :cheesy:

Mike, how do you know some of these were taken from professional observatories - I can't find that info.

Mark

Mike

Mark,

It says at the bottom:

Photograph: Terry Hancock/The Royal Observatory

etc...

mickw

I find it hard to come to terms with a photo of a tree etc. with a starfield in the background being considered an actual "astronomical photo" let alone considered a contender.
Agreed that some look nice but I don't think it compares with a "proper astronomical photo/image" where somebody has spent hours getting the image and further hours processing it to get the maximum detail out of it.

In my opinion, the only exception would be an Aurora
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteIt says at the bottom:
Photograph: Terry Hancock/The Royal Observatory

Don't they all have Royal Observatory against them?  i.e. because they are entered into the RO competition, perhaps that makes them copyright to the Observatory as far as the media are concerned. 

I seem to remember having the same conversation last year about the judges choices of images having a bias towards astronomical subjects with some foreground such as a tree, or horizon etc.  Personally whilst these images are attractive, I think they should not dominate the overall choices.  There should be a separate category for such images and I agree with Mick's comment
Quote"proper astronomical photo/image" where somebody has spent hours getting the image and further hours processing it to get the maximum detail out of it. 
is what true Astronomical imaging is all about.

Carole

MarkS

Rats!  I've just realised I forgot to enter my "Moon and Jupiter Reflection in a Swimming Pool" image
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=6562

Mark

Carole

Seems the results are out, and exhibition starts today:
Amateur astronomer Damian Peach has become the first British entrant to win the title of Astronomy Photographer of the Year, beating hundreds of photographers from around the globe in the 2011 competition. As well as securing the £1,500 top prize, his image takes pride of place in the exhibition of winning photographs opening at the Royal Observatory Greenwich on 9 September 2011.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/picture-galleries/8750367/The-2011-Astronomy-Photographer-of-the-Year-competition-winners.html

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/visit/exhibitions/astronomy-photographer-of-the-year/

If they say this is the Astronomy Photographer of the year and it's only September, and submissions had to be in some time ago, when does the year run from and to?

Carole

mickw

That is a cracking Jupiter  :o

Not a bad collection at all, except for the arty farty ones with people, trees and buildings  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Mac

MarkS

Damian's Jupiter image is a very well deserved winner.

Mark