• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bino's

Started by Mac, Dec 07, 2012, 15:56:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

My old Pentax 10 x 50, have finally given up the ghost, so im looking for a nice new shiny one.

Im looking at either 15 x 70's or 20 x 80,
Not too sure, which make or model yet,

any one have any ideas, which ones to avoid, ect.

Mac.

mickw

Being a wobbly sort of person, I use the Canon 15x50 IS and they are excellent
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

I had some Pentax PCF 16x60's which were very very nice but I needed something to rest up against to keep them steady.  With 15x and upwards magnification I would need stabilisation of some kind (maybe you wouldn't).  Personally, having experienced looking through the Canons (30's/36's and the 50's) my next bins wouldn't be anything else, they were that impressive.

Robert

Tony G

Mac,

Like Mick, I received the next ones down, the Canon 10x30 IS and I must say the stabilizer aspect is excellent, but I'm absolutely positive that when Jim was asked what type he had when Flis asked, he was suppose to say 18x50......still..... :(

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

I bought Dee the Canon 12x36 IS mainly for watching birds.  They work really well for astro.  They are also quite lightweight which means your arms don't ache!

mickw

Unless you're going to consider a cantilever mount like Duncan has made, you really should consider IS bins.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional