• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Canon 350d hack

Started by The Thing, Apr 05, 2011, 15:59:17

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Anybody tried this with their 350d?

The hack enables ISO3200, spot metering, toggle mirror lock up and seemingly an intervalometer mode so you can take a series of images without any fancy gadgets. I am going to give it a try since it doesn't modify the camera but allows it to boot from the CF card. The page I've set the link to lists the set of features and how to access them.

mickw

Quotedoesn't modify the camera but allows it to boot from the CF card

As long as it doesn't boot from the flash card then rewrite the firmware :boom:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

From what I've read it modifies one bit of the camera firmware to allow boot from the CF card. The software to run the camera then loads of the CF card. If you put in a non-bootable CF card the camera returns to normal.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Excellent, I've been waiting for this
ever since i did the firmware hack for my other canon.

Mac.

Mike

The CHDK doesn't affect the firmware. it simply boots from the card instead of firmware. It's the same as booting your PC from a DVD instead of the hard drive.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Looks cool.  I'll give this a go sometime (but not before tomorrow night's first light from High Halden).

Mark