• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Anybody use APT - Astro Photography Tool?

Started by The Thing, Feb 06, 2011, 16:05:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Well I've installed it and just familiarising myself with how it all works.  IVO is very quick to get back with any queries. 

Although APT itself doesn't allow you to look at more than the last sub - I can't even get it to do that yet - but it doesn't matter for me as I have found I can still view the images in Digital Photo Professional which is part of the Canon EOS Utility software, so that means I can look at all of the subs not just the last one, which is a bonus. 

Have managed to work out how to use the Image Mask Function (see previous threads), although not got as far as working out how to mark the bright stars, so I'm not quite sure how that works as yet, but in the meantime I can flick between live view and the Mask Image. 

Not going to start using it until I'm really familiar with everything as imaging time is precious in view of the recent weather.  But for 12 Euros even if I only used the Image Mask function it would be worth having. 

Carole

The Thing

Carole, make sure you have APT set to capture raw & jpg as the preview shows the jpg, not  raw format files (which of course you want for processing).

Carole

Ah Duncan, I had it set for just RAW.  Maybe that explains why I could not view the last image.

Carole

mickw

Are those of you that are using it happy with it ?

Any bad points ?

Nebulosity is about to be kicked into touch  :!
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Rings a bell it can only be used with live view camera's
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Any canon dslr can be used. Out has some great features and its easy to use.

I do have an issue with it crashing in very particular circumstances but from its forum I seem to be the only user with this issue, probably my laptop...