• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Anybody use APT - Astro Photography Tool?

Started by The Thing, Feb 06, 2011, 16:05:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I've had a look at this too and it seems to have a good number of tools. 
Although I can programme long exposures with my DSLR and Canon Utillity I can't programme various lengths. 
Also now supports dithering and I like the sound of the DSLR temperature facility.

I might have a go at this at some point (clouds permitting!!!)

Carole

Fay

Does it support GPUSB, do you know?  I can see it supports DSUSB
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

QuoteWe really need lots of threads about spending cloudy nights trying out new software (you know what I mean  )

Yes, we get enough of them so there's no excuse  :(

Carole

QuoteDoes it support GPUSB, do you know?  I can see it supports DSUSB
Not sure Fay, might be a good idea to E mail IVO and ask him.

I also noticed a very neat feature in that you can line up your images to those you have done on a previous night.

Carole

The Thing

From the M65-M66 thread...
Quote from: The Thing on Mar 09, 2011, 18:42:42
[For those who followed the APT thread,] I used the image mask function to get the stars lined up for the second set of subs, it works. You can load an existing image, create the mask (little circles you put round prominent stars) and then start snapping subs and lining things up. It even has ASCOM scope control buttons but I found the distance moved for each button click a bit odd.

Mac

Quotealso noticed a very neat feature in that you can line up your images to those you have done on a previous night.

isnt that just called stacking?
or am i missing something.

Images of the same object should be roughly in the same place on the ccd, even over a few nights,
and stacking will just align them anyway,

Mac

The Thing

If your camera doesn't get dismounted, the rotation is the same, your  polar alignment is the same etc.etc. Also if the framing isn't very close stacking won't work, it can't work miracles. Its better to have a tool that will get things aligned as close as possible.

Its ok for those with observatories!

Mac

QuoteIts ok for those with observatories!

But Carole has one as well ;)

Carole

Well my camera is usually orientated roughly the same, but the GOTO does not always get the image in the centre and I have to slew a bit and I have to try to remember where abouts the object was in the frame from last time.  So having that APT facility would be useful to me.

Yes I know stacking would line them up, I am already doing that, but would be nice to be able to line them up beforehand.

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Carole, another thing to think about...  If you don't line up precisely for your next imaging session then you will loose edges of the image or they (those edges that don't overlap) will at best have a poorer signal to noise ratio.  That may not concern you at this stage but if a field just fits in then it just might.

Robert

Carole

Robert, thats exactly what I am meaning and why I think the APT tool would be so useful.  

Mostly I am not currently using the whole field of view (although I think I did with Rosette), but the closer I get to placing the image in the same position the less I have to cut off the edge.

I actually had a look at APT today with some-one who uses it and who thinks it is really good.  
Seems you can only examine the last image captured (although you might be able to open them up in another programme).  Also if you don't set the anti-vibration pause to NIL you get banding at the top of the image.  

Anyway, I think I am going to purchase this and give it a go. 

Carole

Mac

QuoteI think I am going to purchase this and give it a go.

Is there not a 30 day trial or something?
Just in case you done get on with it.

Although in the case of the uk, i think this should be set at opening and using it for 30 times,
as there is probably never going to be a period of 30 clear days :lol:
Mac.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteIt's only 12.7 euro
and the trial version doesn't have many useable options.

Carole