• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp Dates for 2009

Started by Mike, Nov 27, 2008, 06:27:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

no, Mike's right. We're going to have a solar time this weekend mate. Absolutely solar. Although not as solar as is was three weekends ago.

Mike

Solar as in the sun heats them up. However, in this case I could only find thin white plastic so a 12v hairdryer will be called into action.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Just hold it a couple of feet above a gas burner ...

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

NOTE: Until further notice all future Deep Sky Camps will be held at Woodlands Park Camp Site near Bethersden in Kent. Due to problems with access we will no longer be using the field at Tuesnoad.

Carole

QuoteCan't remember can we get 'leccy at the site?

Quoteonly if you bring your own,

I found this on the Woodlands Site
QuoteWe have electric hook-ups (advisable to pre-book), and a modern toilet and shower block facility
Is this not going to be available to us then, perhaps because we want to camp in a different area?

Carole

Mike

Why would it not be available to us?

Carole

Quoteonly if you bring your own,
I only questioned it because of the above quote.

Good, because I just bought myself a hook up and am planning to get myself a camping fridge of some sort as I am fed up with food melting or going off. 

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Carol book it now they have a loads of points and they are between the loos and the centre of the field, its about 30 yards or so, no real issue.

Chris

Mike

Chris do the rest of us need to book for standard plots?

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
book it now they have a loads of points

It's no good booking Woodlands if we end up going to Blacklands (or vice versa)

Mark

Carole

QuoteCarol book it now
Unfortunately my posting
QuoteGood, because I just bought myself a hook up and am planning to get myself a camping fridge of some sort as I am fed up with food melting or going off.  
was dated 6.3.09 and was referring to the March DSC which of course I never made with a tent as I had my arm in a sling.  I have bought myself that fridge and looking forward to food not going off in future, but can't actually make the August DSC as I will be in Cyprus until the Sunday morning.  

That is unless the weather is great and members are staying until the Monday, then I might see if I can get down on Sunday afternoon until Monday. (Getting home in the early hours so might be a bit knackered).  Probably won't bother with hook up just for one night.

Who's staying until Monday?

While I was typing this Mark posted the following
QuoteIt's no good booking Woodlands if we end up going to Blacklands (or vice versa)
.  Which site are we going to?

Carole

Carole

BTW Ian,

Further to a conversation I had with you a little while ago about needing hook up to run my fridge and you were talking about using battery.  I recently tried the fridge out using my leisure battery and it didn't even last 24 hours even when the battery was fully charged.  (I tried it twice to prove the point).

So hook up it needs to be.

Carole

Fay

Whenever we go to Woodlands, Carole, if you use hookup, you will be in a different part of the field to everyone else. Duncan had a hookup & we could not even see him, so he moved his tent into our non hookup area, as he was on his own.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Carole,

Is your fridge a "dual fuel" one i.e. can it run off either electrickery or gas?

Mark