• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Using PIPP

Started by Carole, Oct 04, 2015, 13:21:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

On Duncan and Kenny's advice I downloaded and had a go with Pipp to do the animation for the lunar eclipse.

I already had stacked and processed the images so all I needed was an animation.  I ticked centred and allowed crop and it seems to have worked better than what i had done before, though it seemed to get a bit confused when the Moon started to become a crescent, but the centring is definitely better.

It has saved as an AVI, there doesn;t seem to be an option to save as a Gif file.  How do I upload this to the forum?  Tried to upload it to the gallery but it said the file was too big.

I haven't yet tried uploading it elsewhere and linking it. 

Carole

Kenny

It does gif and avi.

There is an option to tell it that it's the sun or moon and which side the shadow is on but there isn't a setting for eclipses where the shadow moves so it does get a bit confused.

Kenny

Also you need to be careful with the object detection and quality threshold settings or it will discard frames. There's also a tick box to switch off so it orders the frames in order not quality order.

Carole

Thanks Kenny, I missed the GIF selection.  Think I have got it now, will post on relevant thread. 

Carole

The Thing

The more I have used PIPP the more I appreciate what it can do. The guy who writes it, Chris, is really nice and helpful and didn't even mind when I found a WinJUPOS naming bug , which he fixed sharpish. If you have been through the tabs you will have seen time/date and WinJUPOS naming options.

Carole

I saw the Winjupos options Duncan but I have no idea what this is for or does as yet. 

Carole

The Thing

What it does is take the names of images or AVI, lets you extract the
date and time (first option) then it will create a WinJUPOS compatible
filename with a mid capture time and date for the output file(s). This
helps a lot when you come to de-rotate planets in WinJUPOS as it needs
this information and can extract it from the filename if its formatted
correctly, it's a sort of standard in planetary processing.
Firecapture and SharpCap both support WinJUPOS filenaming.

HTH