• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Collimating SCT.

Started by Mac, Jun 03, 2008, 16:56:16

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Wow! - I never knew supbright LEDS drew that much current.... no wonder it's bright...

Don't forget your average Alkaline PP3 (9V battery) has a capacity of something like 500mAh so depending on how many hours it takes you to do your collimation battery may not last too long..... :-) :-)

John

Ian

I've got a 3W LED that draws 350mA and here's one (the white one) that can draw 1A http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD0442&keywords=bright+led&form=KEYWORD

They need mounting on substantial heat sinks to prevent them from self-destructing.

MarkS

Chris,

I thought you said "EACH OF THE 64 STRANDS IS 0.25mm DIAMETER".  That means a diameter of 250 microns not 25microns. 

Mac reckons he got 0.2 mm (200 microns) with his borate silicate glass (or whatever).

Last night I sawed the collimating lens off a cheap & nasty key-chain red diode laser.  Ran it off 3V with a 4700ohm resistor in series to keep the power right down.  This produced a pinprick light source which I measured photographically to be approx 0.08-0.1mm wide i.e. 70-100 microns.  This is still slightly too large to act as an artificial star for collimating my C11 at 25metres (the length of my garden) - it subtends 0.7arcsec.

Mark

Mac

If i get a chance today, i'll have another go at making a nice very fine, glass fibre with the glass i've got,
I'll bring it tomorrow to high elms, and i'll bring in some glass for you to have a go with.
All you need is a blow torch to heat it up and you just pull it apart, the glass solidifies
in to a ver thin strand.

the .2mm strand i ended up with was a lot thinner, but the end piece broke off.

Mac.

JohnP

QuoteI'll bring it tomorrow to high elms

Mac - remind me what's up tomorrow...... thks

Ian

do you want me to bring my blowtorch to dsc? my propane bottle will be there anyway...

Mac

QuoteI'll bring it tomorrow to high elms

Mac - remind me what's up tomorrow...... thks

sorry just me having a blond moment,
I thought the meeting was this thursday, :oops:

I'll bring some down on saturday then instead, as well as a pair of plyers and some gloves.

anyone got a micrometer?

Ian

Quote from: Mac on Feb 18, 2009, 13:48:39
anyone got a micrometer?

yup, shall I bring that too?

MarkS

So if it's cloudy, at least we'll get some collimation practice.  Sounds like we'll have a whole constellation of artificial stars!

Mark

Mac

Quoteanyone got a micrometer?
yup, shall I bring that too?

might as well, just to see how thin the fibres realy are,

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 16, 2009, 09:00:10

Chris,

If you have any left - I'll buy a few fibres.

Mark

I have 2 meters of the stuff, I will accept payment in beer please, not point in cashing in or it, it was very cheap...

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: JohnP on Feb 16, 2009, 12:34:40
Wow! - I never knew supbright LEDS drew that much current.... no wonder it's bright...

Seriously you don't want to look into the end of one when its on.

Mac