• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tales of woe Part II

Started by mickw, Jul 09, 2011, 15:56:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Mac on Jul 12, 2011, 16:31:33
na its just windows,
i'd stick to xp, all the drivers have been tried, tested and are known to work.
As for W7 it is at best junk.

Oh dear! thats good advice, I think what you will find XP is probably not supported on all the new kit thats out there.

Gota love this forum its more anti Microsoft than most of the LAMP houses I know?

:-)

PhilB

I blame Microsoft's "let's keep the code secret" policy. If third party developers had unrestricted access to the source code they'd be much more able to write things like drivers that didn't lock up the operating system.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mac

QuoteIf third party developers had unrestricted access to the source code they'd be much more able to write things like drivers that didn't lock up the operating system.

They dont, the operating system does it all by itself.  :cheesy:

Even the military dont use windows any more.

http://www.slothmud.org/~hayward/mic_humor/nt_navy.html

they should have stuck to unix.

PhilB

Even the military dont use windows any more..

Don't they?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13639_3-10129373-42.html

So there's your answer, Mick - develop your own version of XP  :cheesy:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

:ferret:

Now I would not like to work in that Sub, aim missiles press button and wait!

Also just to put things right, Linux and its clan are open systems, Apple is a closed OS.

This is why there are fewer Apple apps, and I'm not talking about the phone, but then agains there are only a few systems needed.

The Lnix world has a lot of free software complete with security holes, viruses, bad drivers and memory leaks etc.

All these systems have big issues with them, I just think its funny on this forum the answer is always format it and install XP.  Dos was a lot more stable.

mickw

I'm not a great fan of windows although I find XP relatively simple to get around (or I did) but I believe the US excuse is crap.
The guts of NT will have been torn apart by the military the same as used on the UK sub.
The "application" that runs under NT would not have been found on a shelf in PCWorld under "Missile Launch and Control" software, it would likely have been written in house by some geek in the military.  Now this is where it gets scary, somebody wrote the software that would accept clearly wrong commands, I wonder if they consider Launch and Target being at the same location would be very wrong  :boom:

I have now removed XP from my laptop and given W7 a quick decoke and will continue my testing  ;)
There we are, it's back on topic  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

Perhaps a little premature but I am in the process of controlling the mount, camera, guiding with EQMod, APT, PHD and Starry Night all on W7  :o

I have a sequence of 15x300 secs and 15x60 secs running and imaging NGC7000 - actually it's a spot on the window but I lied to Starry Night.

I could do with a 7 or 10 port powered USB hub, so a trip to Maplins is on the horizon.

Just to show impartiality, I'm typing this on the Mac  :cheesy:

Thanks to Duncan for the tips

Fay

Hope Starry Night doesn't find out!!!!! You could get punished!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

QuoteYou could get punished!!!!

I'd better get round the pub then in case my beer privileges get revoked  ;)

The Thing

Quote from: mickw on Jul 14, 2011, 16:13:02
I have a sequence of 15x300 secs and 15x60 secs running and imaging NGC7000 - actually it's a spot on the window but I lied to Starry Night.
My last attempt at NGC7000 looked a bit like a spot on the window on a dark night. :roll:

Since you know the special incantations to get SN :alien: to work on W7 :bug: you could always invoke the threat of the SUPPORT KNOWLEDGEBASE if SN starts to play hard to run. :wall:

mickw

Quoteyou could always invoke the threat of the SUPPORT KNOWLEDGEBASE if SN starts to play hard to run.

:o

As long as I don't have to know what it means  :-?