• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tales of woe Part II

Started by mickw, Jul 09, 2011, 15:56:25

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Finally got around to hooking my imaging setup together for a test.
At last I got a QHY driver that would actually work with W7  :roll:

Now the Canon doesn't want to play in either XP or W7  :!
Any attempt to operate the shutter causes APT to lock up or I get the BSOD.
After poking around places where you shouldn't poke around, I got the Canon to fire, it also works with the standard Canon remote lead.
I now suspect that the LX adapter or USB/Serial adapter is buggered (presumably because of the vast wetfullness at RV)

SO anybody going to the drinking session on Tuesday (I've seen the weather forecast) ?
I would like to try working adapters with my camera and laptop - I'll bring alleged duff items to eliminate the innocent  :)

Please please please
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

have you checked the port? (non alcoholic of course)
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Mick, I'll try and get along.  What adaptors would you need?

PS the port works a treat, even better with age ;-)

mickw

Yep, com port checked - another bonus with using APT is that it simply won't connect if wrong port is selected and it can't see the camera.

Robert I need to try a standard USB/Serial adapter and a Long Exposure adapter like -
http://astronomiser.co.uk/300d.htm#serial
http://astronomiser.co.uk/converters.htm#serusb

My LX adapter is home made using an opto isolator which should prevent BSOD or anything else bad getting back to the PC so something weird is going on.

Quotethe port works a treat, even better with age
And I believe I have sufficient age  :)   :beer:

Rocket Pooch

Mick,

With a USB to Serial adaptor the normal cause is the driver for the adaptor, some adaptors cause all kinds of issues with Windows and Linux boxes (I know I have seen it a lot).  This is a guess, but can you check the version and name of the driver on the PC, if it's a Pacific driver your going to have some fun a lot of cheap adaptors are from Pacific corp.

Chris

mickw

The adapter runs on Prolific drivers (or rather it doesn't)
I've installed latest driver for W7 and on the XP partition, I installed latest XP drivers - it fails under either system
All has previously been working fine under XP, it just went cock head at last DSC which is why I am assuming damp damage.

Got one last thing to try - I'll renew the 2.5mm plug that goes on the end of the LX adapter to the camera - off to Maplins tomorrow.

I'm hoping the camera is OK as everything was left out covered in dew - Won't be doing that again.

Rocket Pooch

Mick,

The blue screen will probably bethe driver, whats the version number?  Also you can test it at home by leaving it on the bench running.

If you can get me the driver number I'll see if its newer than mine. I meant Prolific not Pacific before.

Chris

The is the driver website, http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

mickw

Thanks for that Chris - I had managed to install older "latest" drivers  :-?

Now got 3.3.17.203 on W7 and 2.0.16.166 on XP  :)

Unfortunately my fat fingers managed to snap off the connector in the camera adapter plug so can't try anything until I get to Maplins  :oops:

Cheers
Mick

mickw

Replaced plug on LX adapter, deleted and re-installed APT and Canon software on both W7 and XP and updated Prolific drivers.  New regulated PSU for USB hub.

Except for one BSOD under XP, all seems to be working OK - I'll be testing a lot before next DSC  :-?

The laptop is a new W7 machine, I installed XP on a seperate partition and had to hunt around for most of the drivers - Duff USB controller drivers are a possibility but at least W7 seems happy.

BSOD error was - BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER which suggests to much demand for power on USB

mickw

Just made a very silly mistake
Used "Driver Genius" to install driver updates for XP
The stuff that wasn't working properly doesn't work at all, a load of the stuff that did work doesn't.  :!

Reinstated all the old drivers - at least the mouse works now  :-?
I give up

Got APT capturing 20 x 5 min subs of the kitchen wall with PHD looping at a dark corner all on W7
If I get no problems I'll ditch XP and reinstall W7 to get rid of any spurious crap from previous tinkering

JohnP

Bloody hell Mick - what is it with you & software/ drivers.....you are certainly having your share of software problems... I wish I could help but not being a software pro I wouldn't have a clue. If it was mine I would go back to basics install one thing at a time i.e APT first - make sure it works repeatedly - turn computer on/off several times make sure it works. Then install guide cam - same thing on/off several times & if all is well install guide software.. Once it works leave it alone..

mickw

That's the killer John, it was all working perfectly and just went to pieces at last DSC  :(

Because all the astro software/hardware is interconnected, it could be anything that's causing the problem

Mac

QuoteBecause all the astro software/hardware is interconnected, it could be anything that's causing the problem

na its just windows,
i'd stick to xp, all the drivers have been tried, tested and are known to work.
As for W7 it is at best junk.

Windows 7 might as well be classed as a symbian o/s where you cant change anything.

Mac.

mickw

That's the other killer, it all seems to be working fine on W7 but is buggered on XP - (on this machine anyway)

I think there are things in the hardware that are just not designed to work under XP.

The main thing at the moment is to get one system working - any system - and at the moment, W7 seems to be the one.

Mac

QuoteW7 seems to be the one.

Oh well. :roll: