• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Scope Bottom heavy

Started by Fay, Mar 04, 2011, 15:28:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

The QSI has made the scope bottom heavy. Has anyone any idea what I can do?

THanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

What scope are you using it on?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Tony G

Can't you just move the rings right down tight towards the crayford?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

the rings are right down

Rocket Pooch

You must have the QSI583F model not the QSI583M model, most people think the M means mono, it does not, its Male, the Female version is bottom heavy due to the maturity of the product.

Mike

Use another ring to screw a small weight to the lens end or wrap a strip of lead around it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

Quote from: Fay on Mar 04, 2011, 15:49:40
the rings are right down

You're either going to have to add some counterweight up by the dew shield (MORE expense!) or you'll have to switch to your 120 equinox which probably won't give you such a wide field  :roll:

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

PhilB

Looking at the sky, I assume you were hoping to go out and play tonight?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

Well, I had another 1/2" to move it up & it is just about balanced now on the ED80. I may have to start to piggy back with that scope. It will be ok with the 120 as so top heavy

PhilB

Here's a thought, if you're that close to getting things to balance, if you move the mounting rings closer together, by drilling another hole in the dovetail plate and remounting one ring, this should enable you to reach balance. If that makes sense?

Fay

I will think about that Phil. I will have to do something. I have found a spare, the bit that the dovetail holder, may be able to fix that to the ed80 rings.

It will be fun when I attach the QSI to the WOZS66!!!!!!!! It will have to be piggy backed.

Chris is that a joke male & female camera?????? :radiation:

mickw

This is what Phil means - or use a longer dovetail - This is on my ETX

Chris is using the QSI on the TS Quad which is about the same size as ZS66
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I was wondering how Chris gets a balance with that. I am sorting thru my bits to see if I have the parts to piggy back. Thinking about a longer dovetail as well

PhilB

Ignoring the balance point, the photo shows just what I' referring to, Fay. Basically, by moving one ring you make the dovetail plate project out at one end. You then mount the telescope so that the projection is up by the dew shield which means that you can then move telescope further towards the mount.

Quote from: Fay on Mar 04, 2011, 16:33:29
Chris is that a joke male & female camera?????? :radiation:

Nah, I think it's a reference to the the great British Pear Shape!