• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 23rd to 25th May

Started by Mike, May 14, 2014, 07:09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Morning campers. No doubt you are waking up a little soggy this morning but how was it last night? See or do anything?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

As would be expected I am only one awake. Ppuring. Julian arrived at 12 30 a bit late in his hi tec van. Did not see anything. Waited to see if any difference when street lights were turned off at 1am but did not notice anythinh. I went to bed the others stayed up having some medicinal
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Have a good one Fay & all - Thanks to Mick I'll be doing my worktops - - John

MarkS

Mick paid a visit today.  Lovely sunshine between the occasional showers.  Hoping for a good sky tonight.

mickw

Looks like a good site and a possibility for out of season DSCs

I rushed home, after a clap of thunder, to save my TV from another lightning strike - I got soaked getting to the front door and as soon as I got indoors it stopped raining  :!
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

MarkS

Last night was mainly clear.  A very respectable SQM reading of 21.15 at Zenith was obtained, reducing to 20.8 at the southern tree line (altitude 10deg approx) where Scorpio appeared.  Milky Way was also discernible right down to that level - Julian picked it up very nicely on a 20sec widefield exposure.  Since we don't get proper astronomical darkness at this time of year it is quite possible it may get even darker there.

Some light pollution was obvious from the Littlestone/Folkestone direction.  Ashford was quite obvious just west of north and another area of brightness, possibly from Camber.  The glow from New Romney itself was no problem possibly because it is behind the main tree line.  None of these were problematic, epecially since the southerly direction is so dark.

Headlights from the road caused no problems at all but there are some nearby streetlights in two directions which may become visible when the leaves drop from the trees.  Plenty of power outlets (20 in all) so electric will not be a problem.  I don't know if any streetlights were switched off at 1am but it didn't seem to make any obvious difference if they were.

All in all I think this is a good imaging site and we all had a great time.

Mark

Carole

Had a great couple of days.  Thanks to Julian and Duncan for testing - condemning and then lending me some dew heaters when mine all packed up at the same time  :!.  (It wasn't the hub this time Mike), need to get myself some better quality ones before next camp.

Got about 3 hours worth of data, yet to be processed.

Yes was pleased with the site, there were lights on the toilet block which the owner switched off (again without needing to be reminded).  We had the field to ourselves, so we need to ascertain whether he will switch the lights off if other people are there.  But considering this was a bank holiday weekend and no other campers in that field, I think we do stand a chance of booking this up during the peak season, though as Fay says he does get big bookings from time to time.

Some-one also suggested that having a hard road into the field that maybe in the off season we could park on the hard standing and pitch our kit by the hook ups if the owner agrees.  Might need to do a bit of tweaking to this plan as there would be some juggling of vehicles if any-one wanted to get out and the campervans can't be moved easily when they are hooked up and lots of loose objects inside, but I am sure we can find a way.

Mark's SQM readings are very promising and it's great as it has a Southern horizon.

QuoteToo low for me. Lady came out and lifted it. It may be down by tonight.
I think Fay must have driven accross the owner's "garden" as there is a hard road around the perimeter of the other field by which we had to enter.  :lol: :lol:

Carole

MarkH

campervans can't be moved easily when they are hooked up and lots of loose objects inside, but I am sure we can find a way.

Carole , when I had one I found I could cycle a move in less than five minutes no trouble including stabilisers and ramps.

Fay

:lol: :lol:i think it is quite funny, that i drove through their garden,  across the lawn, and under the washing to get to the field! well the lady of the house did point that way!!

Carole

QuoteI could cycle a move in less than five minutes no trouble including stabilisers and ramps.
Mine is not a standard campervan Mark it's a partial conversion, the cooker is not fixed down and if in the middle of cooking will be too hot to move.  Also my hook up is "thread it through the window" style, not unplug.  You need to see the arrangement to understand.

As I say I am sure we can find a way.

Quotewell the lady of the house did point that way
Maybe she was just pointing to where the field was, not meaning you to drive accross her lawn and through her washing Lol  :lol: :lol:

Carole

Fay

Mike

Glad you had a good time guys and the campsite sounds encouraging. How do you think it compares (both in skies and facilities) to Rother Valley and Blacklands?

Carole

QuoteHow do you think it compares (both in skies and facilities) to Rother Valley and Blacklands
It has a good southern horizon which we can't get at Rother Valley.  Mark was happy with the SQM readings, see Mark's post.  

It's a little bit confusing as to how to get into the camp first time but once you've done it once no problem. The reason for this is the field we are using is locked due to gypsies invading in the past, so we all came in via the house driveway and then had to drive accross the grass onto the gravel campsite road and round and into the camping field.  Or in Fay's case accross their lawn and under the washing line  :lol: :lol:  However there is an entrance and exit in the side turning beyond the campsite (where the gravel road leads to) = Spitalfield Lane.

It was a darn site quieter than Blacklands (pun intended  :cheesy:), no interruptions at all, however we did have the field to ourselves.  He has put a shower in each of the ladies and gents loos now.  
No shop (but then there isn't one at Rother, but New Romney high street and pubs are not far away as is the sea (Great Stone is sand dunes, New Romney is pebbles).

Hope this helps as it's difficult to visualise unless you've been there:

Carole