• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead Nebula in narrowband

Started by Carole, Nov 10, 2012, 14:45:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

2 versions, False colour and Hiubble palette
Still a learner at this, so advice and tips appreciated.
Alignment of the filters is not precise but see my other thread, it's a lot better than it was.

False colour
Ha = Red (12 x 900secs),
Oiii = Green 4 x 900 secs binned x 2,
Sii = Blue 4 x 900secs binned x 2

Hubble palette
Sii = Red
Ha = Green
Oiii = Blue

JohnP

I think 'False' is the right word.... neither to my liking at all - much prefer the natural RGB or HaRGB...

John

Carole

I must admit I prefer natural colour, but living where we do I am told it's the way to go.  This is just for practice. 

Carole

JohnP

umm I really just prefer the Ha B&W - I don't think the S3 or O2 adds anythink..

Carole

I am not very keen on just Mono images, but if I want colour, then I have to start somewhere on practising using filters.  I must admit I was not keen on the NB colours myself, but needed to try something out as this was a big new learning curve for me and not without traumas on the way if you read the other thread. 

I am having a go at LRGB tonight, but not sure if I also need a LP filter.  I acquired one recently but for the life of me I can't find where I have put it, so having to go without, this will be my first LRGB image. 

Carole

MarkS

Great as a proof of concept, but as John says, for the Horsehead the S3 and O2 don't add much.

I don't think I've ever seen the Horsehead quite like this before!!

Carole

I googled it and there are a few NB images out there.

At least I have done what I set out to do, combined NB filters, just need to choose something more traditional next time.

Carole

RobertM

That's an interesting take on colouration Carole  :-?  I'm not sure the Hubble pallette is my cup of tea either but as you say it is proof of concept.

Robert