• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Fan goes into overdrive

Started by Fay, Jun 23, 2011, 11:23:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I know I have asked this before, but I have hoovered it out & cleared the cooling grids.
I assume that desktop fans are always on, mine is, but when going online etc, the fan goes at full pelt.
Are there settings for the fan or does it work on it's own initiative? 

Thanks,

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

If the fan speeds up when the PC has to do something, it's very likely overheating.

Have a look at the CPU heatsink and fan, the slots in the heatsink are probably clogged with dust - The heatsink fan is the biggest one on the motherboard.

Get an air duster (tin of compressed air) take the lid off PC and take it into the garden then spray the air between the slots in the heatsink - Dust and fluff should get blown out.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Depends on the PC.  Generally they adjust to the CPU temperature and that depends on how hot it is.  Warmer weather or putting it next to a radiator with the CH on would certainly encourage it to come on more that it should need to.

Why do you ask - is it not behaving as expected ?

Robert

Fay

I will have another look Mick, at this heatsink thingy. I will look on line for a diagram diagram  so I know where it is

Mike I just know it is the fan, thought there was only one in there.

Robert, well I am alert to it now, if I watch something on Youtube, say. it is really fast.

Fay

Oh ok, so the fan sits on the heatsink & it has a lot of open slots in it. I have never looked at that

Mac

QuoteOh ok, so the fan sits on the heatsink & it has a lot of open slots in it. I have never looked at that
:roll:  :cheesy:

Assuming you have cleaned the fans and heat sinks and its still running flat out.

Have a look at the task manager to see if anything is running at 100% (ctrl Alt Del)

The only thing that should normally be about 97% is the Task Idle,
If anything else is running at 100%, then either its

1) doing something hard (processing an image, ect) although you should know how long this normally takes, and you should be running it anyway.
2) A program has crashed and stuck in a loop
3) You have a malice program running full pelt spreading itself across the internet, causing mayhem and chaos to everyone.

Best bet is to reboot the PC. and see if you get number 3 back.
If so you need to run a spyware & virus check ect.

The other two will be cured on a reboot.

Mac

Fay

Mac signing onto the forum, makes the fan faster aswell

Ok will look at that Mac

Fay

System Idle = 92

I will look at this heat sink. When a computer is unplugged, does it still hold a charge, or is it ok?

Mac

92% sounds ok,
You will always use the cpu when just sitting there,
other programs, will just be doing their little bit.
it the ones that are running at 100% you need to look for.

These are the ones using all your cpu power.

system Idle at 98% means that your CPU is doing nothing and is idle 98% of the time.
Mac

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

Your fan is going on more when you are online because its likely the website you visit is requiring more of the processor performance, like flash sites for example.  The use will determin how much heat is generated and therefore how much the fan will go on.

Simple test leave it on the forum with no other browser windows open for a minute and it will be reasonably quiet, then, open www.yahoo.com, listen to you fan, it will go nuts a bit, well when the O2 add starts.

Chris

P.S. Don't keep hovering it you will probably end up creating static in the PC, not a good idea.

Fay

well I have had the fan off & there was a lot of fluff in the heatsink, so brushed all the slots  out etc etc. Not sure how to get the heatsink out  but will check that out. I am thinking it is running quieter, have to have it on a while to see proper

Could be a satisfied customer    ;)thanks

mickw

Leave the heat sink where it is  :o

Fay

Oh ok Mick, don't want to break anything or blow anything up.....................I am a bit too good at that!!!!!

mickw