• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Albireo 26-6-11

Started by Carole, Jun 28, 2011, 10:29:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I used Albireo as my Focus check between images and thought "why not image it while I am here?"

Was not quite sure what sort of exposure to give it as I didn't want it blown out like some of the major stars in some of my other images, so did 200 ISO.

14 x 1min 200 ISO Modified Canon 450D + CLS filter
ED120, guided

MarkS

Beautiful contrast in star colours!

You didn't need the CLS filter for something so bright but it suppose it does reduce the amount of background subtraction required.

Mark

RobertM

Yes, I'd agree.  The colours look very subtle and natural.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

I think the colours are very wrong?  But hey what do I know :-)

:alien:

RobertM

If you're right (which is likely) then my work screen is wrong, will have another look when I get home tonight...

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

With my MK1 Eyeball and a 12" dob its a dull blue and a light Orange, well light its actually quite vivid, its definatly not Pinky and light Blue, possible the filter.  Also non-saturated would be good as well.  One to discuss this weekend I guess.  Wonder what the cloudyness is around the stars, optics perhaps?

Chris

Carole

Anything to do with the CLS filter or the Mod?  I only increased the saturation slightly, didn't change any colour.
Interestingly my Dumbbell Nebula came out with green where most people have blue. 

QuoteWonder what the cloudyness is around the stars
I always seem to get a fuzzy edge to bright stars, not got to the bottom of this yet.

Carole

Carole

QuoteYou didn't need the CLS filter for something so bright
Hi Mark, I was doing Witch's Broom and Crescent so had the filter in for those, it was just an idea while I was checking my focus in Albireo.  But good to know for the future.

Carole

RobertM

How did you do your colour balance ?  Now there's an interesting question for everyone !!!

Carole

Don't know what you mean about "doing my colour balance". 

I bring the colour sliders together in DSS if that's what you mean.  After that I just stretch the image.  Sometimes I go into curves and select an individual colour and lift that slightly, but only if that colour is already in the image (i.e. if there is no green then I would not lift the green), and sometimes I increase the saturation, but that's all I ever do to colour.

Carole

mickw

Visually, they are a stunning blue and yellow/orange.
This isn't
They looked over exposed although the surrounding stars look quite nice
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Visually, they are a stunning blue and yellow/orange.

But what about visually through a CLS filter?