• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Finally A Half Decent image Of Saturn

Started by Daniel, Apr 26, 2009, 03:22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi all, Just thought I'd share this image of Saturn I got last night, quite happy with it, as I can finally see detail in the banding on the planet itself and a hint of a Cassini division too if I squint hard enough.

I took this on the 120 ED with the DMK21AU (Im Loveing this camera!) with the Televue 4x Powermate 2000 frames stacked in Registax

Now I want to try some colour, may see if anyone wwants to swap a filter set for a Starlight Xpress MX7C

Daniel
:O)

Rocket Pooch

Daniel,

A set of LRGB are only £100, if you want £100 for that camera I'm in :-)

Chris

Carole

The Thing

Saturn is always cool.  8) Love to look at it.

Good contrast, the banding shows up nicely but it's not overcooked so the variations are evident.

I must have another go at this now I've modded my webcam so I can compare with images I did with the original.

Daniel

Hi Chris. the filters im looking at are the Astronomik LRGB type 2 filters which are £185, if you can match that, the camera's yours!

Daniel

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Can you drop me a PM with your phone no.

Chris

JohnP

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

The rings are starting to tilt toward again!! I really like the ring views. It has been dead boring as a straight line.

Nice shot mate. Did you find the focus hard to achieve with the 4 x on the 120?

Baz.

RobertM

Wow, that's really good Daniel, the 120ED looks like a really good scope - another Skywatcher bargain.  Would be nice to add some colour ?

Daniel

Yes, some colour would be great, I did do an RGB, using the celestron RGB filters I got with my eyepiece set, but as expected, it didn't work, just ended up with a purple saturn.

Achieving focus was difficult indeed, especially when the fine focus on the focusser is too stiff so doesn't work any more (need to get that fixed)

Im looking forward to getting the mount back as this will look cool in the C14, I went out last night and Imaged it again, but this time the seeing was no way near as good, I also tested my new Tal R100 scope which i bought as decent F10 guide scope, it's good but when mounting the 120ED straight after, you can see why it's only a sixth of the price!

Daniel

MarkS

Daniel,

That's a very clear Saturn and the banding is showing up really well.  The conditions were good that night - Saturn looked terrific visually from Kelling Heath.

As you say, it would look really good in colour.

Mark

Daniel

Thanks guy's Im chuffed i've finally been able to take a planetary image that was more than just a splodge!

Mark, I had no idea just how good the conditions were that night until I tried to image it again the day after, still managed to get an ok image out of it (i put that down to this little camera, it's great) but i could see the seeing making the image dance all over the place, made it very hard to focus. Just wanta  few more days like that when Jupiter finally comes up again!

Daniel