• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Strange Lines appearing on 30s exposure

Started by Daniel, Feb 16, 2008, 11:54:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Just wondering if any of you have had this too, last night I was looking up around LEO taking some 30 second exposures when i noticed a streak on one of the images. I took another and the streak was still there except it had moved along some more, then i took another and it was nearly out of shot, It's obviously traveling too slow to me a metior and there wasn't any aircraft in the sky (it was too faint for that aswell)

Did I capture a satelite going over?

Rick

Very probably. Exactly which one might be a bit harder to determine unless you've got access to a full set of predictions.

Mac

roughly what time were you imaging, according to starry night there were loads, if you can give a rough time, i'll have a quick look and let you know

Mac

the slowist one so far which was about 22:30 was the H-2a Rocket booster.
which as you look at leo is on the right hand side moving bottom to top.

Mac

the next slow moving one which is about 00:15 was a gps satelite moving top to bottom slap bang in the middle

Daniel

Just had a look at my files and they were all taken between 00:22 and 00:27

Mac

Just checked, and it was a GPS satelite, GPS BIIRM-4(PRN 15).

These are the starry night prints

i know they are a bit big sorry.

there is also an asteroid to the right of leo, dont know if you had a wide enough field of view to capture it, Hebe (the green label)

Daniel

Wow, that's really cool, nice bit of detective work there, makes me wonder what else can be caught within a patch of sky with a long enough exposure........well, apart from loads of light polution! :P

Mac

Well if your up for a challenge, 00:14 Monday morning, there are the following items in the sky,

This is a 180deg view looking at the zenith, so if anyone has a fish eye lens it might prove quite interesting.

as there will be about 25 satelites, 8 resonably bright asteroids, 5 comets not so bright.