• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and Io at +36deg 1 Oct 2012 00:37:02 from Rother Valley Campsite

Started by The Thing, Oct 19, 2012, 11:45:13

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

GRS and Oval BA are clearly visible. Very happy with this result.

SPC880 flashed to SPC900 with Revelation IR filter. Baader Neodymnium 2" filter in Moonfish 2" ED Barlow on LX90 8" SCT. Captured using Sharpcap. Processed in Registax only.

Sharpcap Settings
[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]
Frame Divisor=1
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=25.00
Colour Space / Compression=YUY2
Exposure=-5
Brightness=64
Contrast=32
Saturation=-2
Gamma=0
ColorEnable=255
BacklightCompensation=0
Gain=59

JohnP

oh err mrs... That is a stonking image - definitely the best to date - Really good colour & processing. You are enthusing me to have a go but need to get myself a planetary cam of some sort.

Well done - John

The Thing

Thanks John, all you need is a webcam. SPC900s are rare as hens teeth these days though.

JohnP

Yep - I know - Don't suppose you know of any modern day alternatives that won't break the bank....?

MarkS

Excellent image Duncan!

I saw it on your screen as you were recording it and the seeing was OK but not really that good.  You've got some good detail there - your best yet.  The colour looks really good.  The two spots are great.

Io has come out nice and clear - did you use it for registering the frames?

By the way, how many frames did you use in Registax?

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 19, 2012, 12:08:53
Excellent image Duncan!
- thanks Mark!

I saw it on your screen as you were recording it and the seeing was OK but not really that good.  You've got some good detail there - your best yet.  The colour looks really good.  The two spots are great.

Io has come out nice and clear - did you use it for registering the frames?
- Yes, I found a frame where it was easy to pick out and clicked on it to add an extra alignment point

By the way, how many frames did you use in Registax?
- 352/502, in Registax there is now an Advanced option to include it in the filename.

Mark

The Thing

Fay

Very good indeed Duncan. i got my SPC 900 out the other day after looking at your other Jupiter, i forgot I had it!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Jon it might be easier to get hold of an SPC880 which can firmware re-flashed to turn it into an SPC900.

Or buy a pre-flashed one... http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/556/Astronomy/

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Quote from: Mike on Oct 19, 2012, 15:21:09
Jon it might be easier to get hold of an SPC880 which can firmware re-flashed to turn it into an SPC900.

Or buy a pre-flashed one... http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/556/Astronomy/

Morgan have been out of stock for ages. They had found a job lot some one was selling off and recognised there was a market for them. you might be lucky and find one somewhere else though.

JonH

Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

The Thing