• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

June uDSC - 4th to 6th June - Rother Valley Campsite

Started by Mike, May 17, 2010, 14:10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

And the naked sunbathing is ........................................................
:-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

mickw

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

mickw

mickw

QuoteMick, I was positive I saw your old van on the M23 yesterday afternoon?

It's possible, I know they were going to take it to some caravan show down south.

MarkS

I love the panorama, Mike.  How did you create it?

Mike

The Canon SX1 has an autostitch facility in that it lets you see the edge of the last photo taken and you can then line up the next one with that for making panoramas or mosaics.

Then I use the Photomerge function in Photoshop. Does it all for you. It's great.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

In an email reply from Rother Valley concerning the dates :-

We are officially closed from November to February but I'm sure we can get round that somehow - the only potential problem with the winter dates is if the field is waterlogged.

mickw

Sounds good, thanks Mike.

Chris did mention about it being boggy, I wonder how he coped.  Potentially caravans and motorhomes would be a no go.

Still if we have as much rain as we did prior to Stairs Farm, I think fewer campers would want to attend anyway.

Mike

She did say they have a 4x4 to tow us out if it got really bad.

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I can't remember the exact date I went there but I beleieve they were closed and I blagged my way in.  It was slippery with the Subaru, I don't think Patsy would have any issues though.

Chris

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
She did say they have a 4x4 to tow us out if it got really bad.

I guess that's the Cherokee the warden was driving around in.

The Thing

Quote from: mickw on Jun 08, 2010, 13:10:19
Chris did mention about it being boggy, I wonder how he coped.  
The field was a clay cap on a chalk subsoil (revealed on the path down to the railway). So it will have well drained bits and soggy muddy bits.

Plan: Put the tent on the hard standing area near the entrance to field (assuming no one else is mad enough to be there in the depths of winter). Trudge the scope to the appropriate part of the field and surround with windbreak. Take three bits of plank to support tripod legs in the mud. Lay out long hookup cable. Cover scope. Drink beer until sky clears.