• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M82 HaRGB from Kelling

Started by Carole, Sep 29, 2014, 19:16:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I think I need better equipment to do this justice, but at least I managed to capture the Ha filaments which was the purpose of the exercise.

RGB 300 x 3 each binned x 2
Ha 1200 x 3
Skywatcher ED120 and Atik314L
NEQ6
Captured in Artemis, stacked in AA and processed in Registar and photoshop

MarkS

That is excellent.  You've captured those Ha filaments very well.  Overall, the image looks as if the seeing was the only limitation to further detail.

The only improvements I can suggest (apart from further luminance data to bring out more than just the galaxy core) are:
The background looks too black for my liking - so adjust the black clipping point
The larger stars are saturated disks.  If they are not burnt out in the subs then more sympathetic processing would improve their look.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark.

I should explain that I only used the RGB for the galaxy itself which was a bit burnt out in the Ha data, the sky is only the Ha data, so there is no colour to the stars and I think that was how they came out and of course this is a fairly big crop, I will however go back and take another look.  Yes luminance data might help, I didn't take any lum only RGB and Ha. 

I'll take a 2nd look from the point of view of the sky and stars.

Carole

Carole

Following feedback, a slight stretch to the background:

MarkS