• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

tonight

Started by Jim, Mar 07, 2012, 22:58:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

anyone else out imaging? Beautiful eve.

Jim

The new mount is guiding like a dream. Bit of a novelty for me!!

guide by jim_mehta, on Flickr

Rick

The Sun's been playing rough today, so keep half an eye out for aurora...  :abducted:

Mac

:!

chance will be a fine thing.
The sky was crystal clear, and the laptop's dead,
so all i can do is dslr work, Unguided.
need to build a working computer from the 5 or so old ones in the garage.

Plus the fact i've had an attack of MOULD!!!! :cry:

Just some of the things i need to sort out,

Oh well.

Mac.

Rocket Pooch

Not me Jim, have a job :-(

The guiding looks ok better than the Tak I used...

JohnP

Looks great Jim - I look forward to seeing your first light with the new mount...

RobertM

Not me Jim, I just received the EQ6 pier adaptor back from the engineers so should have the pier available and up imaging again soon.

I can't really tell how good that guiding is - what are you guiding with ?

QuoteNot me Jim, have a job  :(

Well my contract finishes tomorrow and I've nothing to go to :( but I'll have more time for imaging :)

QuoteThe guiding looks ok better than the Tak I used...

Can't believe that unless it was a duff'en or not setup right.

Sorry to hear about the mould/PC woes Mac hope you get up and running quickly.

Robert

Tony G

Not me Jim, Eastenders is on iPlayer.  ;)
Quote from: Mac on Mar 07, 2012, 23:13:42
Plus the fact I've had an attack of MOULD!!!! :cry:

Mac, I would seriously think about seeing the doctor before looking at fixing any laptops. :)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Well my contract finishes tomorrow and I've nothing to go to :( but I'll have more time for imaging :)

I certainly got some serious imaging done during my period out of work ;-)

Mark

Jim

QuoteI can't really tell how good that guiding is - what are you guiding with ?

I was using my 127 refractor with a ZS66 and Atik 16 for guiding. I setup just outside my back door which meant that I only had a SE view so decided to try the owl nebulae in Ha. Will process tonight. I could not get PhD to work (kept freezing up and refusing to shut down) so reverted to Maxim. No idea what parameters I fiddled with but the guiding just suddenly settled down. I've got a lot to learn and now I've got a mount that works :lol: :lol: look forward to some nights when I can just play around with the guiding and try and understand what all the parameters do.

RobertM

Just one thing with MaximDL and guiding - make sure the 'L' shape covers as many pixels on the guide camera as possible.  Go for 100 min if possible or whatever the max calibration time is if not.  From the graph it looks like the 'aggressiveness' may need to be tweeked or the threshold for movement is too high but if it gives you nice round stars then you shouldn't need to touch it.

Robert

Carole

QuoteI've had an attack of MOULD!!!!
Is this in the observatory Mac?

Carole

Mac

YUP. :!

Need to work out why.
Probably try and sort it at the weekend.

Jim

QuoteJust one thing with MaximDL and guiding - make sure the 'L' shape covers as many pixels on the guide camera as possible

Thanks, it's much smaller than that at the moment.

Whitters

That is a seriously good looking error track graph