• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another IC1396

Started by Fay, Aug 25, 2008, 13:06:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Last night the sky looked clear, but not many stars visible, probably high cloud. There was no dew but sky was quite light as Moon was coming up.

12x600 secs, Ha, Atik 314L/ED80, guided with nodified webcam/PHD.
Looks grainy to me. Still would like it smoother, perhaps it's my processing.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Fay - a little grainy but a great result nonetheless.. I'd be well chuffed.. Is that full frame or have you cropped? I expected the FOV with the 314L to be larger????

Anyway great result & spot on guiding for 10 min subs....

What's a 'nodified Webcam'.... Is it a std webcam that you have sent to Noddy in toy town for modification... :-) :-)

John.

Fay

I was deliberately trying to put you off track with coded information!! Glad you passed!!

Full frame. Yes I know the image is larger, but you get away with less!

JohnP

QuoteYes I know the image is larger, but you get away with less!

What do you mean by this....?

Fay

Well, bad bits, that may not be so bad on a smaller image, show up more in a larger image. Don't you think?   

Rocket Pooch

looks good for france fay

Fay

John had a play around & I think it looks a lot better. Easy when you know how. I like it a lot better now.

RobertM

Looks like a great result to me and nice round stars despite the noddy guiding ;) and the moon.   Lovely detail, the only criticism might be that it requires more (and possibly shorter) subs but I think you can do subs till the cows (Mark might say Bullocks !) come home with these Nebulae. 

Mike

Nice image Fay. The grainyness was probably due to moisture in the atmosphere. Was transparency not very good that night?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

No it was not good Mike. A lot of these images vary depending on the computer they are seen on, as you know. I have printed it off & it has come up really well with no sign of grainyness.

Fay

That's interesting, shorter subs, Robert.

RobertM

The only reason I say that is because the brighter stars seem very saturated.  It's difficult to get over saturated stars (for instance 52cyg on the witches broom) but shorter subs would help.

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Aug 26, 2008, 07:53:48No it was not good Mike. ....

That's why then. Lack of transparency will come out as grain in your image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

Ahhh, that'll explain the crescent nebula I took the other night, best guiding I've ever done (think I now have the perfect settings in PHD, Oscilation Index hung around 0.47 - 0.52) but the image was no way near as nice as I'd hoped, the transparency was terrible that night, can't believe you got 1396, that's been a thorn in my side for a while now even on a clear night, awesome work! :O)