• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

uDSC - 5th to 7th July - Blacklands

Started by Mike, Jun 25, 2013, 20:44:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We don't have a DSC in July so how about an unofficial one on the New Moon weekend of 5th to 7th July ?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kylee

I'm up for that one.....going to take the plunge and try out the new tent I've had for a year!!!

Let me know about booking it up Mike....will it be Rother?

Kylee

Mike

I've emailed Jackie at Rother to see if we can have our usual corner. It might well be already booked up at this time of year. If so we can make it Blacklands.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kylee

Ok cheers.....will you let me know what I need to do? When you know where we are going that is!

Thanks Mike

The Thing

I would love to be there but I will be in France :), back on the Sunday - but all the fun will be over by then!  :(

MarkS

Rats! I can't make that weekend :-(

Mike

Doh!! Thanks to Julian for pointing out my mistake. The New Moon weekend is 5th to 7th July so it would have to be that weekend instead. Jackie had told me that Rother is now booked up till September so it will have to be at Blacklands.

MarkS

If the dates have changed, it might be worth changing the title of this thread?

The Thing

I can make that one!!!!!  8)

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Jun 26, 2013, 16:48:07
If the dates have changed, it might be worth changing the title of this thread?

Done.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Kylee

Kylee

Actually....checked again.....could be possible. Sounds like its no good for everyone else though!

Mike

Only 1 person has said no so far Kylee.

Kylee

Kylee

What's the address of the site Mike.....just so I can check out the website? As I said before....can you let me know what I need to do to book it etc.

Cheers.

Mike

Carole

Would have like to have come, but am doing something else that weekend unfortunately.

Carole

MarkS

I'd like to come but regrettably I'm going to say no.  The weekends before and after, I'm busy.  So the weekend of 5-7th is a good opportunity to put in a full weekend's work on the observatory.

JonH

Alas i'm in Brighton that weekend to punish my liver, ohhh the hardship  :beer:

One of these days i will make another DSC though!!!
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

Mike

I've told Leon we are coming and he has welcomed us. He says can everyone please book themselves online and then pay when you arrive:

http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/booking

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

Quote from: JonH on Jun 27, 2013, 20:59:12
One of these days i will make another DSC though!!!

Yeah yeah you keep saying that ;)

RobertM

I'm up for it if the weather is conducive :)

Rocket Pooch

I'll be in the area, the forecast if perfect ;-)

julian

Wont be able to make this one due to work  :(

Julian

Mike

Fingers crossed. The forecast for both nights is looking excellent so far.

Kylee

I know....just checked the weather....it looks fab!

Fingers crossed  :D

Kylee

Are people still up for this weekend? Just want to check as its my first.....don't want to be there on my own!

Also....I noticed on there website that if I put the postcode into a sat nav that it won't get me there. Can somebody tell me which exit from the A23 and rough idea of that last bit!

Cheers  ;)

Carole

I'm sure my satnav takes me there Kylee, I've a TomTom.

Carole

Kylee

Cool.....it's just that the website stated that! Have you got the postcode? It's not on the site!

Mike

Kylee go down the M23/A23 and come off at Junction 13.
Turn right on the roundabout onto Cowfold Road A272.
After 1.6 miles turn left onto Wineham Road.
Keep driving 3 miles to the very end of Wineham Road.
Turn right onto Wheatsheaf Road.
Blacklands Farm is the next right. You can't miss it, it has a plastic cow outside.

Turn into the lane and go to the end. There is a gate at the end on the right. Enter the 4-digit code (Battle of Hastings). Then drive in once the gate is open.

Once in the field set up anywhere along the right hand edge of the field or the corner closest to you by a EHU.

Mike

Blacklands Campsite Address:
Wheatsheaf Road (B2116)
Henfield
West Sussex
BN5 9AT
Tel: 01273 493528 (Office Hours)

Kylee

Thanks Mike that's a great help......see you tomorrow  :)

The Thing

Mike, has the end of the field where you've indicated for Kylee got hookups? I have booked a hookup... Should be there around 6pm if all goes to plan.

RobertM

I'll be there a bit later tomorrow evening, probably around 8ish (just one night I'm afraid).  I don't have a hookup cable so could someone let me plug into one of their spare 13A sockets pretty please ?

Robert

Mike

Duncan - Yes according to Leon they've installed them along there.

Robert - No problem.

RobertM

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tonight but possibly tomorrow may be on.  Have a good night tonight !

Robert

Mac

At some point in the near future, I will have a weekend off, wont know if its this year or next or the one after that for a ll i know.
and if im lucky, very lucky, then it might coincide with a DSC weekend.

But the rumor on the grape vine is they are going to change our shifts
so we work Thursday to Sunday :! :evil:,

and its the close one as well, thats even more annoying.

Mac.

Mike

Well we are all set up waiting for the sky to get dark. Today was a glorious hot sunny day. We got a visit from Chris. Spent most of the day just lounging around under the sun shield keeping cool and drinking cider.

The field is absolutely full of tents, even the lower field. We've left a space clear in case Robert turns up.

Fingers crossed for tonight. Just in case, the fridge has plenty of alcohol.

Rocket Pooch

It's clear here so you should be ok, unless you get the mist!

MarkS

Really murky here at High Halden - lots of dew and milkiness in the air :-(

Hope it's better at uDSC.

Later edit 1am:
The sky directly above is now less hazy and the Milky Way is quite obvious down to 30degrees above the horizon where it disappears again into general murkiness.

Saw the first glowworm of the season tonight but it must be very lonely because I've seen no others :-(

Carole

Hope you are all having a great time, was gutted I couldn't come, but got some Ha imaging done from Home instead.

Carole

Fay

you will have to set up a glow worm breeding colony Mark
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Quote from: Fay on Jul 07, 2013, 12:03:10
you will have to set up a glow worm breeding colony Mark

Wouldn't that be considered as encouraging light pollution ? 

Kill 'em all  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

Quote from: mickw on Jul 07, 2013, 12:09:04Kill 'em all  :twisted:
Light pollution is apparently doing a good job of killing off glow-worms all by itself...

Tony G

Quote from: Rick on Jul 07, 2013, 12:29:44
Quote from: mickw on Jul 07, 2013, 12:09:04Kill 'em all  :twisted:
Light pollution is apparently doing a good job of killing off glow-worms all by itself...

They could also join this forum. :cheesy:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Well we had a great weekend. What a scorcher!!

Nobody did any imaging Friday night as it was too hot and nobody could be bothered to set up. Also, the sky was a little murky that night.

Ssaturday night was much clearer. Like Mark said, murky to start with and cleared later. We were up until about 3.30am.

Duncan got some great images of the dumbbell. I was doing the same object but had guiding issues. Started again and rebalanced everything which helped for the DEC axis but I had oscillation on the RA axis. Weirdly, when I tried PHD2 I was then getting sub .25 pixel guiding. But it was gone 2am by then and I didn't have the time to do any proper imaging. I got a few frames only.

Overall a really nice weekend with fantastic weather.