• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Converting my POD to a ROR POD

Started by Carole, Oct 09, 2013, 10:35:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

The POD Zenith table is virtually finished.  Just a few tweaks, but it works. and enables me to reach the Zenith. Just need to fit a couple of ramps to make getting the domes on/off at the sides a bit easier.  There are 3 strips of slippery plastic fitted onto the table for the dome to slide on (and not wear out the varnish).

The dome slid back by about 2'6"/3'.  As you can see the dome is still in the way towards the NE, but I never image over that way anyway, partly because the houses are in the way and lack of objects to image in that direction. Objects mostly rise from behind that loft extension, so I'll be able to see the objects right through until they set or disappear behind a tree in the West.  The dome can also be swivelled slightly on the table.  

Need to practice getting it on and off a few times before I dare try it in the dark.

Rocket Pooch

I must admit, I would have sold it and put a shed in, seems an awful lot of money to just get the roof off.

Carole

I did consider it Chris, but decided in the end this was less expense and hassle.  

If I ever move house (which is unlikely) I would do just that.

Quoteseems an awful lot of money to just get the roof off

Cost me around £384.
Nothing is cheap in Astronomy.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Nov 01, 2013, 12:00:57
Cost me around £384.

OUCH!   :o

Imagine what you could have done with £384 plus the price you'd get for a second hand POD  ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Doubt I'd get a lot for a 2nd hand POD have seen them up for sale and even adding £384 to that would probably not pay for a ROR.  

Then I'd have to re-do the flooring and lots of other stuff.   All the mess of dismantling and re-constructing, probably would have to pay some-one to erect it, not to mention the time lapse between losing one and getting another.  Finding a buyer and trying to time it all.  

Already thought through all that scenario.

Carole