• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Shutter willnot fire in DSLR Focus or Maxim

Started by Fay, Dec 02, 2009, 14:44:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Ok having aged 20 years I am still plodding on with this new drive!!!!!!!!!

Now I hope, last big hurdle is that the Canon  shutter will not fire in DSLR Focus. It had a couple of times during the last couple of days but not now. The focus moves but not shutter movement in focus mode or bulb. Checked port is the same in prog as in Device manager, 50 times.

I just tried to connect it in Maxim & message came up "hardware failure posted by camera driver" I am thinking cable here. Please, has anyone got any advice, so I can start to relax :( :( :( :( :(
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Fay - just remember DSLR Focus has always been a 'dodgy' prog & even in the past you have had issues so it is not necessarily something wrong with what you have done.... maybe you should try a different LX prog..

John

Fay

well being that Maxim threw up a problem with it, I am wondering about the cables. DSLR focus had been working fine for a very long time on old drive. I did take that version off & put on new drive, but makes no difference.

MICK , have a couple of beers & come up with an answer, perhaps a bit of cable testing!

Fay

Does anyone know if that blue cable should be attached to anything? Serial to camera.

Mac

Fay

Oh, really, wonder where?  I am getting excited

mickw

QuoteMICK , have a couple of beers & come up with an answer

OK, Done - might need more though  ;)

The LX adapter or whatever is presumably a 9 pin D plug thing into a USB adapter.
The program that is controlling the camera via the "adapter" needs to be told what the port is that the adapter is using - It is probably NOT a USB port.
You could try the programs settings and guess what it is (like I did and got lucky) or you could take a look at the Windows, System, Device Manager, Hardware etc.

I am not clever enough or pissed enough to offer any further assistance  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Mick, thru the haze  :D did you notice my picture above?

mickw

mickw

Sorry about that - Mac started it  ;)

Really need to see the other side of the plug where the wires are connected.

But I'm guessing that the broken wire is the shutter release.
I'm assuming that you have 3 connections, one of which has a blob of solder but no wire (there's a clue in there  ;)  )

Fay

can't see a blob, i was looking for a clue. have sent a mail to astronomiser, where i got it from.

mickw

Post a picture of the other side of the plug where the wires connect

Fay

mickw

It looks like the red wire goes straight down the middle.
The bare wire (that the red wire is twisted round just goes to the bit that looks like claws that the whole wire sort of fits through.
Roughly in line with where the red wire connects, there seems to be a blob of solder.
That is where the blue wire lives  :)

Possibly

The Thing

I would say Mick was probably right. We really need to see inside the other end to see what the blue wire is connected to.