• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

SX problem.............give me strength!!!!!!

Started by Fay, Oct 20, 2009, 14:35:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

After sorting the SX battery cable connection. Not getting a lot from the camera.

Have reinstalled disc & gone online for downloads.

Testing with PHD.

It is taking images, as screen is flickering, but bit striped, when holding had over end, it is still light. Have tried with Astroart & scope, striped again. Not reacting when end being covered.

Hope someone has an idea, it is driving me nuts

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Is it ACTUALLY taking (stripy) images or is it just the program going through the motions ?

Sort of sounds like the the computer is not receiving a signal from the camera
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Yes stripely images in PHD & Astroart. I can see it flickering on PHD as it is taking the short exposures.

I have tried camera on desktop as well & is same. Just hope camera is not broken.

Yes, seems like a signal is there but not quite 

mickw

You didn't pop in for a cup of cocoa and let the foxes play with it did you  :D

Fay

RobertM

Check with Terry at SX - there always seems to be yet another firmware or driver version that works !!!

Mike

Fay. Using Starlight Xpress capture software I get perfect images.

Using MaximDL or Astroart I get interlaced images.

Reading the forums this seems to be an issue with these old SXV cameras unless you Bin 2x2.

But using the SX capture it works fine, no issues at all, taking perfect pictures of leaves at the end of my garden.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Thanks for your help, Mike. Glad there is nothing wrong with the camera.

I have always used 1x1, with Astroart & High Res  Progressive, Odd Even. It has always been ok & I have never used the SX capture program.
The problem I encountered was also there when using PHD, which had always been ok.

Anyway, again, glad camera is ok, thanks. Can I pick it up early, late afternoon today, is that ok?

Fay

SX now works via mains, in AA & PHD. Mike gave me a new USB 2 cable.
Must have been a kink in the old one

I have made a new battery cable/connector & the camera does not work via battery. Any ideas would be good. Thanks

mickw

Blown fuse in power supply or battery lead ?

Low power in the battery - not enough for the camera ?

Try using mains again to make sure you haven't pulled something out.

Fay

The light is on on the brick using battery but camera is producing  stripey lines.

Fay

I have sent a mail to Terry Platt, if he doesn't know, then no one will. I have already paid £40 for a new board in the power brick.

Have put it on UKAI as well.

mickw

Going back to Mikes post

QuoteFay. Using Starlight Xpress capture software I get perfect images.

Using MaximDL or Astroart I get interlaced images.

Reading the forums this seems to be an issue with these old SXV cameras unless you Bin 2x2.

But using the SX capture it works fine, no issues at all, taking perfect pictures of leaves at the end of my garden.

What capture software are you using ?

Fay

Mick, God is looking out for me today.....about time!

Sussed it.................The SX needs it's own 75ah car battery!!

It will not run off the 17ah yellow battery, or on a car battery with the laptop as well. The Atik runs happily with the laptop, The mount has to have it's own car battery. 

The SX, if taking short subs, has to be on interlace setting, if on long subs, High resolution progressive. Also there is a venetian blind effect setting, that you can use. Also when taking flats, you have to remember to change  SX from high progress to interlacing. Not that I have to think about that any more as use the Atik for imaging. I want to use the SX as guide camera.

mickw

Have you always needed 2 batteries or is this something new you're trying ?

If you're getting this much grief, I would be inclined to stick the batteries on charge after every session  :(

Glad it's sorted