• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Geminid Triangulation Project

Started by SimonTelescopium, Nov 25, 2009, 21:43:43

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonTelescopium

Is anyone interested in doing a Geminid Triangulation project?

Night of 13th December Morning of 14th (Sunday Night Monday Morning)

The object is to calculate the height of a Geminid meteor and its trajectory, this allows you ultimately to work out the orbit.
Sounds hard but the observing is actually quite easy to do, but luck has a huge amount to do with it as well. All you just point a camera at a predefined point of sky at a predefined time and submit your images, a friend of mine will do the maths (although I'm going to work up my own calculations for a bit of mental exercise), If we are successful we'll submit a paper to The Astronomer (or anyone else who will publish!)

If Anyone is interested, has a DSLR/CCD fitter with a 20-50mm lens and static tripod please let me know, I will need to know the observing location to within 500m (although the exact location can be fully worked out after if necessary) and am looking for perhaps one additional location with a couple of cameras – It is a few days before the OAS next observing session, which might make it a little inconvenient.

Anyway if anyone is interested, no real commitment, I need two observers per patch of sky but would like 3, because it is sods law that a meteor goes through the frame when one of the observers is downloading an image or changing a battery, so 3 observers helps.

I currently have observers at Swanley, Wateringburry, Trosley and Bedford a couple at Orpington would be great.

Lastly it is meant to be a bit of fun, so don't get stressed out if it all goes horribly wrong no one will mind!

I will provide sky maps and instructions to anyone interested :D

Simon
:oops: I am a newbie, so sorry if I haven't followed the correct protocols!  :oops:

Ian

sounds like an interesting plan, but I'm afraid I won't be able to take part.

Please post an update Simon...