• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Lovejoy accidental 5 minute exposure

Started by MarkS, Jan 17, 2015, 02:15:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I accidentally took a 5 minute exposure with the Canon 350D on the Tak Epsilon.  It completely burnt out the core but otherwise I really like it:

No noise reduction has been applied, nor Canon "banding" removal.

Mark

Kenny

I really like the detail and the bright core adds to the picture.

Rick

Interesting detail in the tail there.

Carole

Yes it's shown up the tail very well.

Carole

The Thing

'Lucky' Mark strikes again. Amazing detail in the tail.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

All I can say is ... What a mistaka to maka !!!

I wish all my accidents turned out that well !!!

Mac

Nice,

So was that guided on the comet or the stars?

Mac.

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
So was that guided on the comet or the stars?

Yes, because otherwise you would see trailing stars. The comet features are slightly blurred by trailing but that is not nearly so obvious.

MarkH

I think there's a lot to be said for burning out the centre if you get that much detail elsewhere.

Fay

my mistake was thinking i was on the comet and i was not!!!!!! waste of time! looks like a big star, i put co ordinates in as well

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
my mistake was thinking i was on the comet and i was not!!!!!! waste of time! looks like a big star, i put co ordinates in as well

What a pain! However, if you can't see a big fuzzy blob in the finderscope then you are not on the comet.

JohnP

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Mark, you been posting on A POD again....
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1501/lovejoy_popov_1100.jpg

No, but they really should have waited for the latest version of my image. Here it is - I've now combined six accidental 5 minute exposures.  It has blurred the tail slightly but has enabled me to bring out more detail:

You might just be able to see another fan going out between 7 and 8 o'clock.  It's also in the APOD image and I've noticed the same on other images also.  The extra data has also started to bring out a bluish tint to parts of the tail.  It's genuine - I've performed no colour saturation on it.

Mark

Carole

Fay

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Yep, no other words to describe it, truly excellent !