• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Christmas Meeting and Quiz

Started by Mike, Dec 09, 2012, 19:09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Just a reminder to everyone that the Christmas Meeting & Quiz is THIS week, Thursday 13th at 19:30.

See you there.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

I'll be there  :)

Pick up calendar also
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Yep - Happy Christmas to everyone - Have a good one - John

Mike

Also don't forget to bring along a few nibbles. Only bring as much as you want to eat, no more, as there is usually double the amount eaten left over as people go mad. Drinks will be provided free of charge as usual.

We will set up the food and get ourselves a plate of nibbles BEFORE we start this year. I will also stop halfway through for another break.

Hope to see as many as possible there on Thursday.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Dam, it's my works xmas party, this will be the 1st one I have missed for years.  Mind you if I did turn up it would be locked anyway.

And it's my last month as an OAS member :-(

Mike

QuoteMind you if I did turn up it would be locked anyway.

Actually that's a good point. Ian, have you checked with BEECHE that somebody will be there this Thursday to open up for us?

mickw

Rocket Pooch

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Fay

Robert, you do say some funny things

Tony G

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Dec 10, 2012, 15:38:46
And it's my last month as an OAS member :-(

Don't go!!!! I love you man!!!!  :cry:

Regards

Gilbert.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Mike

Another reminder:

The Christmas Meeting & Quiz is THIS week, Thursday 13th at 19:30.

Also don't forget to bring along a few nibbles. Only bring as much as you want to eat, no more, as there is usually double the amount eaten left over as people go mad. Drinks will be provided free of charge as usual.

We will set up the food and get ourselves a plate of nibbles BEFORE we start this year. I will also stop halfway through for another break.

Hope to see as many as possible there on Thursday.

Mike

Fay

good job you are remind us, Mike, I turned up a week late last time!!

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Dec 12, 2012, 15:28:05
good job you are remind us, Mike, I turned up a week late last time!!

No Fay, treat it as being early for the January meeting.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

doug

Unfortunately, Rose and I will be unable to attend the Christmas Meeting as Rose has been taken into hospital with pneumonia, but want to wish all you guys and gals a very Happy Christmas and a super New Year.

It`s a great shame but Rose is having the treatment that she desperately needs for this as she has not been in the best of health for a while and we will miss Mike`s marvellous quiz  :cry: and all your enjoyable company.

So we will see you all when we can, in the New Year.

Cheers,from Rug and Doze.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rick

Quote from: doug on Dec 12, 2012, 22:53:39Rose has been taken into hospital with pneumonia

Oh dear.  :unwell:  I hope she's soon feeling better.

Delphine

Hi Doug

Sorry to hear that Rose is not well and in hospital.   Please give her my love and best wishes when you see her.

Delphine

MarkS

Sorry to hear about Rose.

Doug - please pass on best wishes from myself and Dee.

Mark

Fay

Oh no Doug, poor Rose. I wish her well & hope she is out very soon

Kylee

Just want to say happy Christmas to everybody...been caught up tonight so can't make it  :(

Have a fab evening and Merry Christmas x

JohnP

Hi Doug, sorry to hear Rose is not too well. Pls wish her all the best from us for a speedy recovery.

The two of you take care. John & family...

Fay

Sorry you were not there Doug & Rose, it was a great night.

Mike did a superb job of the quiz, fantastic presentations, and we all had a good laugh, thanks Mike!! 

mickw

Thanks for the quiz Mike, a very enjoyable evening.

Despite writing a reminder on my hand, I still managed to forget my calendar.

Arrived home at 12:45 after taking the wrong entry for M25 and heading West, then trying to get on East bound and ended up on M23 and having to go to Gatwick before being able to turn round - I hate night driving.

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Arrived home at 12:45 after taking the wrong entry for M25 and heading West, then trying to get on East bound and ended up on M23 and having to go to Gatwick before being able to turn round - I hate night driving.

I blame your van - it simply heads for Blacklands Farm without thinking!!

Mark

Fay

Rick

I went digging for information about asteroid landings. It seems the first was NEAR Shoemaker, which landed on Eros on February 12, 2001 at approximately 20:01 UT. It was an end-of-mission event; a "what shall we do with it" bright idea rather than something planned from the beginning. Hayabusa was designed to grab a sample from an asteroid, and made a couple of attempts to grab material from the surface of Itokawa on November 23 and 25, 2005. The sample grabs were more "snatch in passing" than actual landing, but it did touch the surface, though its returned sample was microscopic; about a hundred grains of dust.