• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012

Started by Ian, Dec 09, 2012, 13:11:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

[BAA-ebulletin 00711]  Sir Patrick Moore
(c) 2012 British Astronomical Association    http://www.britastro.org/

It is with the deepest sadness that I report the death just before 12.30 today of Sir Patrick Moore.

Patrick has long been an inspiration and guide for so many BAA members. He served as the Association's President from 1982-1984, as well as directing with energy and distinction both the Mercury & Venus Section and the Lunar Section. Indeed, he performed the latter role on two occasions, from 1964-1968 and from 1971-1976. In recent years he has been an honorary Vice-President, and although he has been unable to attend our meetings, he has continued to take an active interest in the affairs of the Association that he first joined in December 1934 at the age of 11. He made a point of visiting the BAA stand at Astrofest 2012, despite not being in the best of health.

There can be few BAA members who do not owe their interest in astronomy to the influence of Patrick, either through his numerous publications or his monthly "Sky at Night" television programme. His enthusiasm was deeply infectious, and what he had to say was truly inspirational. Many of us benefited from personal contact with him - the time and energy he devoted to correspondence with all who wrote to him was quite amazing, and his hospitality at Farthings legendary.

Patrick's passing was peaceful, at home in Selsey, where he was surrounded by those closest to him. Many of us felt that this day could never come, and that the normal laws of nature would somehow be suspended in this case. Sadly and inevitably, that was not be be, and we shall all miss a presence that has enriched British astronomy, and the lives of most of us, for as long as we can remember.

In due course we shall have occasion to pay full and proper tribute to the man and his achievements. The grief we feel at this moment is bitter, but Patrick's legacy is immense - and that is something from which we shall all continue to benefit in the future.

Bill Leatherbarrow
President

RobertM

Such a loss, he helped kick start my interest as he did many others.  He lived life to the full doing what he wanted and will be sorely missed.

Robert

MarkS

Bit late hearing this news.  How sad.

Two household names - Neil Armstrong and Patrick Moore - lost in the space of a few months.

Mark

doug

I feel a personal loss .... when I was about twelve years old I wrote to Sir Patrick Moore and had a very nice reply back from him, which unfortunately has been lost over the years. I only wish I still had that letter ... instead of just the memory of it.

It`s a very sad day for amateur astronomers as he championed us all, saying we were an essential part of mainstream astronomy, giving so much in imaging and all it`s other aspects.

I hope that somebody from our Society will attend his funeral on behalf of all of us.  I envy those people who had contact with him; I am sure his presence enriched their experience. 

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

QuoteI hope that somebody from our Society will attend his funeral on behalf of all of us.
Gilbert was a personal friend.  Which brings me to the point that we haven't seen Gilbert for ages, is he OK?

Carole

Jim

Gilbert is fine, I saw him at the RAS a couple of weeks ago. He said he was sorry he hasn't been recently, just had a lot on.

Rick

BBC1 (and BBC1 HD) is showing a tribute, "Sir Patrick Moore: Astronomer, Broadcastter and Eccentric" this evening from 10:35pm.

AndrewH

Sorry to hear this too at Edenbridge and District Astronomers. Telescope House in Lingfield have a tribute on their website.

www.telescopehouse.com

Sir Patrick would often say 'by then you'll have a new presenter' or more recently 'I don't think I'll be watching that with you' when referring to future events so I think we can take it that he wanted the programme to continue.

I have suggested to the BBC that the programme be renamed Patrick Moore's 'The Sky At Night' so his name will always be associated with the show and keep the round robin of presenters that we currently have. I think his handcrafted shoes are impossible for a single presenter and one of his key legacies is inspiring others to take up astronomy. Why not have the show presented by some of the very people he inspired?

I'm sure the BBC will do the right thing but I always thought a lovely thing to do when he wasn't here was to gather amateur astronomers who have been inspired by Sir Patrick and have them congregate at Selsey and collectively say..

"Welcome to The Sky At Night!!' :D

Mike

The final Sky at Night with Patrick Moore is aired on Monday at midnight.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan