• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp Videos

Started by Mike, Aug 17, 2008, 22:35:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

To view some of the videos taken at past Deep Sky Camps click this link - http://www.amateur-astronomy.org/Video/Index.html

Be warned, a fast broadband connection is needed to view them properly as they are full size. You may need to let the videos load in before viewing. Watch the progress bar along the bottom to see how much has downloaded so far.

If enough people are having trouble viewing these videos then I will also make a page of smaller, compressed versions.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I can't view it but I always have problems with quicktime, so if every-one else can see it don't go by me.

Carole

Mac

Any chance of having a direct link to the actuall videos as well on the pages.

OnlyI use DAP to speed up large downloads, only the first two were caught by this, and downloaded fine

The Khoom Fay and the thermite didn't and for some reason only wanted to play in the browser.

Cheers.

Mac.

Mac

Not to worry, sorted.

i just went to the root

http://www.amateur-astronomy.org/Video/

and downloaded them from there.

Carol if your having problems, click on the above link,

for each video right mouse click on the links and save as.

they are the ones ending in .mpg and .m4v

Then use VLC to view the films if your having trouble with quick time..

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Mac

Just watched all the videos. Very entertaining and educational.

Mike

I'll post some links later so people can download them directly and i'll also post up some smaller compressed versions. The server isn't designed to stream video.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Eventually managed to watch them... Loved the thermite one - shame I missed out on fun (never seen Tony run so fast... :-) ).

The tomato can bought back memories... Mike's reaction at the end had me laughing...

John

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Aug 18, 2008, 11:52:10... Mike's reaction at the end had me laughing...

Well I had just witness the lid of the tin literally whizz past Tony's head missing it by about 4 inches and traveling at about 100mph. We were stood a good 80 feet away from the fire so thought we were well out of shrapnel range from a tin of tomatoes!

Mike

Fay

I can't see thermite & Khoom Fay either with Quicktime.

As a matter of interest, did the tomato's land on anyone????????
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Fay - download the prog that Mac linked to above it works a treat...

John

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Aug 18, 2008, 14:38:41I can't see thermite & Khoom Fay either with Quicktime.

They are in .mp4 format. Windows Media Player should hanedle that. I will convert them all to the same format.

JohnP

They actually save as m4v.. I had problems opening but managed it eventually... John

Mike

Carole

Managed to watch the exploding tomatoes on my mum's PC last night which is very slow at loading.  Could not view either M4V file.

The DSC 2005 which I was really looking forward to seeing had not dowloaded after 20 minutes (I was using:
http://www.amateur-astronomy.org/Video/Media/OAS_DSC_Summer_2005.mpg
When I went into properties to see how long it was, it told me 0.00 secs!!!!

Will try again on my PC tonight.

Couldn't believe the speed of that exploding tomato can, and I believe I was sitting in the direction it flew at the time !!!!!!!  We could have had a nasty accident there.  Still as we didn't we can have a good laugh at it.

Carole