• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dogs at Tuesnoad... DSC..!

Started by JohnP, Sep 12, 2007, 12:45:33

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I just had a call from Chris who is out & about in his Caravan (with his dog) this week. He paid a visit to Tuesnoad & spoke with the daughter of the owner (Jeff). Aparently he is in dispute with his neigbour at the moment regarding two late night barking dogs...! He doesn't particularly like dogs so it might not go down to well if lots of dogs turn up with members this weekend.. I've no idea on who is planning on turning up with dogs but sounds like you really need to get hold of someone & double check before heading down there. Chris explained the situation to the daughter & said that there was himself & at least two others (he was aware of) that might bring dogs. The daughter says she will speak with her dad & let Chris know what he thinks.. I'll keep you updated if there is anymore news. If anyone wants to phone Chris I can give you his mobile..

Cheers,  John.

PS - Chris also said that the sheep are in the field - only went in last week so grass is about 1-foot high....!

Ian

Quote from: JohnP on Sep 12, 2007, 12:45:33
PS - Chris also said that the sheep are in the field - only went in last week so grass is about 1-foot high....!

Well that's good news on two counts there Tony, they're there and the long grass'll slow 'em down a bit...

Tony G

Ian,

Don't worry the wellies slow them down any way. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

I clearly need to learn from the master. How do you get them to put the wellies on in the first place though?

JohnP

Ian - you've obviously never seen Tony run when he is on a mission.....!

John

PS - Tony - isn't wifey going this time with you....?

Fay

I think Bella will be glad that the grass will slow Tony down a bit, rather than the other way around!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

John,

The 'wife' (Flis) is with me again, so i'm on good behaviour, and Ian the trick about the wellies is you don't ask them to put on the wellies you TELL them :)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Not planning to bring the dog this time, but does any-one know if there is a power socket we can use at DSC (i.e. in the toilet block) won't bore you with what I need it for, but suffice it to say either I do the job at Tuesnod or have to get home in plenty of time to do it afterwards.

Carole

Fay

Don't know Carole. I was wondering if there was one there for a hairdryer? I am intrigued to know what you want one for now.

Fay 

Ian

I can bring an inverter that'll plug into a car battery, but it's only 300W. Would that help?

Tony G

240v

This is camping for astronomers, the rough and the ready, Grizzly Adams and all that, seclusion.
Whats with the hairdryer and unmentionable electrical womens things that cannot be printed on the forum.
Live like our distant relatives, in the wild, no modern convienences, living off the land so to speak.
Try it, you may enjoy it.
Be a man. ;)

Tony G

PS Fay i've a 12v hairdryer, it's not brilliant, but it would dry your hair eventually. (by Tuesday)

Fay

That was a rousing answer, Tony! Once moew to the breach!!

I want to know what Carole wants to power up in the field. The mind is going into overdrive?

Fay

Fay

I meant, once more to the breach!!
I must not drink when writing a post!

Carole

Well since every-one seems to be so intrigued I had better tell you the boring thing I have to do.

My daughter is getting married next Friday (21st) - a very small budget do and it is likely I shall be taking the Bride (in white wedding dress) to the registry office.

Thus need a clean car and because of working full time and DSC, no daylight opportunity to valet it before then.  I've already enquired about getting it valeted by a pro, but £70 was more than I wanted to pay.  Since we spend a lot of time sitting around during the day at DSC it would be a good opportunity to clean the inside of the car if only I had a power point for the vacuum cleaner.

So no, not cheating on the camping bit, just trying to fit everything in. 

Any offers?

Carole

Ian

ah, that blows my inverter out of the window (erm, not literally I suppose. It might suck it out, who knows, we could test it...). You could always give them a call I suppose.

If you do, could you record the conversation? I can just hear it now, Bob Newhart stylee
"you want to drive your car into the middle of a muddy field?"
"yes"
"and leave it there? for the weekend, sleeping in a tent?"
"yes"
"and you want to do what inside it, hoover it?!"

If there's a van with some men in white coats waiting for us, I'll point them in your direction :)

Carole

I don't have the phone number, will try Miriam (if I can find hers).

Yes, I have already had it suggested to me that vacuuming the car BEFORE I have unpacked my camping gear it probably not the best strategy, maybe I just need to go home early on Sunday and do it.  However even that would be an improvement on what the car is like now!!!

I just wondered whether any-one knew if there was a power point, did not mean to start an intrigue.  Just didn't want to bring the Dyson to camp for nothing.

Well it sounds as if every-one is in a good frame of mind for the weekend.  Hoping to get down BEFORE dark on Friday (work permitting), if I don't manage to get my tent up before dark might have to share with some-one or sleep in the marquee.

Tony, any more room in your tent or is it full up with sheep?

Carole

Delphine

Tony G

I NEED A BLOODY BIGGER CAR :evil:

It's nearly 1.00pm and Flis is strapped to the bonnet like a deer and I still haven't got everything in the car yet :(

Tony G

Ian

Did you leave Flis' hands free? She could always hold stuff. Smaller stuff can be gripped in the teeth. They'll be clenched anyway...