• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bright object in the north seen from Dover

Started by Whitters, Sep 18, 2005, 17:29:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

I have had a report from Greg Smye-Rumsby that his brother Philip, who lives in Dover, has spotted a bright object in the sky this afternoon 18th September 2005.
The object's approximate azimuth is 320deg and it's altitude 60degrees. Greg estimates that this places it in the approximate location of lambda - Kappa Draconis. The objects estimated magnitude is arround mag-9. The object was first seen by Philip arround 14:10GMT and has held station, it is bright and not moving. Greg phoned in the report at arround 16:00 GMT. Greg sais that his brother is not likely to exagerate and is also a nautical navigator. The object's location may be out by 5 - 10 degrees in either direction. I am fully clouded out here in Hayes, and likewise Greg is also clouded out, and therefore unable to confirm the sighting.

Mike

Weird !

100% clouds here , though the forecast says it will clear later.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

From Nick James of "Thr Astronomer"

I have asked an observer in Tenerife to look at this. It is getting dark there
now and her reports that there is nothing suspicious in that area. I checked to
see whether this could have been an Iridium flare even though that would not
be consistent with the stated duration but there were none at the time.

A bit of a mystery!

Nick.

I also saw this to. i have no idea what it is. i would say it was about mag -9 when i spotted it. its to clouded now and i cant get a good veiw of it.

dominic

Well its to clouded here and i did not see it today. i have got no idea of what it is. Could it possibly Be a super nova? If not its got to Be a UFO.

As nick said it is not an Iridium flare There never constant.

Whitters

Hi Guest, Where were you when you saw it?

i was at dymchurch not to far from folkstone when i saw it at about 15:00 GMT