• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Webpage Update... at last...

Started by JohnP, Feb 26, 2008, 13:29:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

I have been very lapse at keeping my webpage up to date. In fact I didn't upload any of the images I took in 2007. The main reason being was because of the layout I had & the fact that it is all 'hand coded' it used to take about 45mins to upload one new image. Anyway I decided to make uploads a bit easier & to bring it up to date - I've kept all my early images on for reference. It now only takes me about 2mins to post a new image so hopefully I'll keep it updated now...!

You can see the new layout with all the new images added at the same old address:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.punnett/

You may need to hit F5 on your computer to refresh the cache memory...

Hopefully there aren't too many mistakes but if you come across something whilst browsing just let me know. I plan to add additional info in the future but for now just wanted to get all the images on.

Thks,

John.

Ian

that looks impressive, all that work in one place.

didn't see any issues with the coding either.

Fay

Lovely webpages John. All beautiful images. I am sure I will keep referring to it for imaging details.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Ian & Fay - yep I hate to think how many hours I've spent staring at the night sky getting & processing those images... :-( it's funny how your perspective changes as well - I can still remember thinking how brilliant those first images of the Ring Nebula were when I took them...

John

RobertM

That's really impressive John, you have some wonderful images to show for all your hard work. 

What software did you use and how long did it take to construct the website ?

Robert

JohnP

Cheers Robert,

The webpage was all hand coded using HTML programming. I started by buying myself 'An Idiot's Guide to HTML Programming' - I probably only know about 5% of the language but it's enough to do a basic webpage like mine. I'd say from when I initially started to hosting my first webpage (about 4 yrs ago) it took me something like a few weeks of messing around trying out different things etc. in my sparetime. I know there are lots of progs out there that can do it for you but I decided to go the DIY route :-) I'd say if you are going to do it yourself do it sooner rather than later - it's a great way to keep all your images catalogued etc. and at least you have something to show for all your hours at the scope etc.

Thks again,  John

MarkS

John,

Well done.  You have a whole load of excellent images there and you've presented them really well.  It gives me inspiration.

Daniel

I agree with Mark, definitely inspirational, great to see the chronological advancement of your imaging!

Tony G

John,

Great site and some great images, but didn't you have a Messier list, which had images of the M.O. you had taken?
If so wheres it gone!!!!!!

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Thks Guys... I really appreciate the comments.

Tony - yes you are correct - I did have a messier page - the whole point of my new webpage was to make it easier to upload images - If I leave the messier page in then it will complicate things as I need to start putting images in two places etc... Anyway seeing it's you I might consider putting it back on - I guess it shouldn't be too much hassle as I don't take that many... It is still very blank...

If I get a chance I may put it back on later 2night...

Cjheers,  John