• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Amazing Aurora Seen From Space

Started by mickw, Jun 21, 2010, 22:02:53

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

A spectacular display of Earth's southern auroras was captured on camera by astronauts on the International Space Station during a recent solar storm.

The dazzling aurora has a sinuous ribbon shape that separates into discrete spots near the lower right corner of the image. While the dominant coloration of the aurora is green, there are faint suggestions of red left of the photo's center.

More:   Aurora
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

doug

That is an amazing picture, but ....... how come there are stars visible in the image?  There are usually no stars seen in photographs from space, or are they something else.....

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

QuoteThere are usually no stars seen in photographs from space
I think you'll find there are Doug see below

Also what about hubble?

Mike

Most Aurora images are long exposures so stars should show up
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

doug

Thanks. Point taken.  But can the astronauts see the stars from the ISS windows ???????  THAT would be something to see. would it not?

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mac

QuoteThanks. Point taken.  But can the astronauts see the stars from the ISS windows ???????  THAT would be something to see. would it not?

Yup the stars are visible in space all the time.

So long as they are not looking in the direction of the sun. (i.e its behind them)
then they will see whatever stars are there.

There is no atmosphere in space, so there is no refraction of light, i.e. the sky is black as opposed to blue. and the light is not deflected / diffracted.

Place a disk the same relative size as the sun over the sun, and it will block out its light.

then the stars near to the sun will be visible.

Mac.

Tony G

Quote from: Mac on Jun 23, 2010, 18:33:30
So long as they are not looking in the direction of the sun.

And they're not sitting in the ISS above southern England, because of the clouds. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson