• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Lack of Group tent for DSC

Started by Ian, Nov 18, 2008, 22:57:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I was wondering, as we've not got a tent could we string a tarp between Micks camper and Chris' caravan? I can pop into machine mart and buy a couple if necessary...

Jim

Ian

I've still got the old tent. why don't you use that. We had it up in Sept for the High Elms open day, worked fine.

Mike

Cos it rains inside it when it rains outside it. If it is going to be a dry weekend then we can use it but if it rains irt will be useless.

One hot dry day we need to simply paint it with waterproofing material and let it dry, it will then be fine to use from then on. We have had 25 (at a squeeze) people in there before.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Why not tie a tarp (or two) over the top of it?

Ian

I guess if it'll take the weight of the tarp. IIRC the tent you're talking about is the octagonal one?

Anyway Jim, don't you mean "we" or are you planning on wimping out on us again?

Mike

That tent is pretty flimsy so it would need to be a lightweight tarp.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Most modern "tarps" nowadays are very lightweight.

Mark

Carole

I have got a Pavilion type tent in my shed (somewhere!!!) (Much like the one that Mike thought would blow away) which belongs to my Opera group (we use it for painting scenery under when it is raining). 

a) If I can find it and all the parts.
B) If I can get permission from the opera group to borrow it.

Would you like to borrow this seeing as you don't yet have an official OAS one. 
I would however prefer it if some-one else brough it down though as I now have a smaller car.

They have in the past made a small charge for borrowing it but if you are interested I could find out.  (Might be something in the region of £15).

Carole

mickw

I thought the rats ate the tent then crapped on what they didn't like the taste of   :-?

I'm up for the tarp-on-van thing but with no walls it will probably take off like a hang glider and play conkers with the vans  :(

If the weather is showing "potentially dry", could we take the tent to DSC and slap some proofer on it ?
At least it could be ready for spring.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

I did see some large tents at canvey island last weekend for £125 each they are 6 birth, but if the dividers were removed you could get probably 12-15 seats in each?

The old tent was pretty bad when it rained, I remember needing my bivi bag when I was sleeping on the inside in summer to keey dry?  The seams leak not just the material.

Jim

Yes, afraid I am wimping out again. If the forecast is dry then if anyone wants to take it get in touch.

Mac

i know this was in a longer thred before, but here's a 12man for less then £200 and its podable.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/campingequipmentco-uk/items/item.aspx?itemid=94683

might be worth a look.

Mac

Rocket Pooch

nice, i like it, I do think we need one, whats the thoughts

MarkS

Yep, I like the diagram of 18(!) smiley people in their sleeping bags ...

Mark

Ian

unless anyone knows different, we're not going to be able to source a new tent for DSC. I might have a chance this afternoon to go and pick up some tarps.

Shall I?