• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Three bricks

Started by MarkS, May 11, 2011, 16:29:23

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I 've set 3 bricks in the ground to mark my tripod position.  Each brick has a "hollow" to securely hold the tripod foot.  Last night I put my tripod back into position and went to do the polar alignment - it was out by only 5 arcmin - really pleased with that.

The bricks don't actually form a completely level base, but that's not critical as long as the tripod leg lengths are not adjusted between imaging sessions.

Now I must do the same for tripod 2.

Mark

JohnP

Good idea Mark. I always plonk my mount in the same position on the lawn & the three pointed legs of tripod have formed small holes which tend to go rock hard in summer so like you as long as I don't adjust tripod leg height all I do is carry complete mount out & place in same position. Takes a few mins & is always very close - Used this to set up last night & was doing 20min subs (now I have sorted out the drift problem i.e. OAG).

John

Rocket Pooch

Mine is just left out with a bucket over the mount that seems to work.

Rick

I used to have three level patches, each made using three hexagonal paving slabs. However, the worms and the grass soon buried them....

Ian

I was going to bury three beer bottles upside down in the lawn. Somehow, after I drunk the beer I forgot about the burying bit...