• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ascom driver headache.

Started by Mac, Jul 19, 2014, 10:40:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Got a slight problem thats like an itch you cant scratch.

1) New install of XP on laptop Latitude D800.
2) Installed ALL the software that i normally use.
3) Installed all of the drivers for all of the equipment, everything working.
4) installed all the dot net stuff, up to and including 3.5 & service pack.
5) Xp service pack 3 installed.
6) Installed latest Ascom platform and service pack 6.1
7) Installed drivers for camera and telescope, including EQMOD Project.

Now, everything seems to work fine.
No crashes no hangs It's exactly the same as the stuff i used to use on Carole's laptop and on exactly the same laptop before Carole's.

Now when I open starry nights telescope panel and go to connect.
I have the option to connect to my mount, eq5/eq6, the com port is correct Com1, the baud is correct 9600, ect.
The moment i connect the telescope reinitialize's and thats it, Ascom shows the telescope as timed out, which i suppose it technically is.
Waiting for the telescope to reinitialize and selecting pc control again, nothing.
After rebooting the laptop and turning the mount off and on, as ascom hangs at this point, gives me exactly the same problem.

I've run ascom diagnostics and there were no problems found.
I've uninstalled and re installed everything again, dot net, ascom, starrynight. and still get the same problem,
The telescope reinitializes every time i try to connect via ascom.

Ascom works with demo mount, so im banging my head at the moment.
The only thing i haven't done is to re-install the mount software as that might be corrupt.

Any ideas

Mac.

The Thing

Are you using PC Direct mode or an EQDIR module or a USB to TTL converter with FTDI chipset which is what I use)? Are you selecting EQMOD EQ6 as your mount in the planetarium?
I always initialize EQMOD using the EQMOD_Run menu option (set as a desktop shortcut) so I am not reliant on any one app (which may crash) for my telescope connection.  Then I connect PHD2, CdC, APT,AstroTortilla and whatever to that instance of EQMOD.  If you let apps start EQMOD often you get two instances (only the first can use the COM port) due to rights - but that shouldn't affect XP.

COM Port should be set using EQMOD toolbox, it has nothing to do with the ASCOM layer. Don't try to AutoDetect, never seems to work!

Hope that helps,

Duncan

Mac

Its PC direct, il give that a go and let you know what happens.
Yup EQ6 is being selected although it is listed as EQ5/EQ6, which was what the old one did.

Mac.

Mac

Breath in, 1..2..3...........9..10 and out.

Hmmmm,
Telescope plugged into back of PC Com1, 9600,8,N,1
Ok I initialized the EQMOD using EQMOD_Run, still the same, on opening, the Telescope resets and or freezes,
EQMod shows either, depending if the scope has reset or frozen, Either no data for RA & Dec, or all zeros,

Tried it with the USB to Com, Com5, exactly the same.
Hand set works fine when not connected to the PC.

Downloaded (Fresh) everything,
Dotnet 1, 3.5, 3.5sp1, 4 & 4.5.
All the ascom drivers, Ascom Platform 61sp, conform setup,
All the EQ6 Stuf from EQMOD, EQAscom,EQModlx,EQMosaic,EQTour,PECPrep,ASCOMPad,EQDimmer,PECRecorder
All the service packs for XP
Firmware for Syncscan v3.35.

Fingers crossed it will work this time.

Mac.

Mac

I've decided its a software issue.

Info.

Tried com1 with all the settings 4800 upto 115k, ascom cant and wont connect to handset,
1) assume cable is broken
duplicate cable, exactly the same.

Opened Scansync Coms checker, cant see the telescope with auto detect.
Tried old cable, exactly the same.

Cant test rs232 port, no other stuff to hand.

Opened firmware updater and put handset into update mode,
Software saw handset and updated it from 1.4 to 3.35, took just over a min, this indicates it connected at 115k
if it was 9600, lo would have appeared in handset and it would have taken 5 mins as per instructions.

So,
1) rs232 port works.
2) Handset can see coms
3) handset controls telescope

Reset and try syncscan coms, cant see telescope. :!
Ascom cant see scope either which was to be expected.

Tried firmware update again, everythings working that side.

Question, where does Ascom get its settings from for setting up the rs232 port? does it take it straight off of the hardware set up.
Also im assuming that it is 9600 8 N 1, can someone check and conform please.

Mac.

Mac

Hmmmmm,

After reinstalling all the drivers and ascom and dot net and every other piece of bloody software,
it still didnt Fking work. :!

Format C: Check
Clean install of windows xp Check,
Install Service pack3 Check
Install all 150+ updates to April 2014, Check.
Install all the drivers, software and all the other bloody junk that we bloody need to do our bloody hobby  :! :! :! :! :! :! :! :! :! :! :! :! CHECK FKING CHECK.

Does it bloody work.

Yup.  :cheesy:

Havent got a clue why.

Probably something didn't get copied over correctly as some point.
All the cameras work, Filter wheel works, Mount goto's work,
Pinpoint astrometry works,

Now its going to be cloudy tonight  ;)

Just need to polar align now, might try out the drift alignment function in PHD2.

Mac.