• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Power supply

Started by Tony G, Nov 29, 2005, 19:32:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi all,
can someone recommend a power supply for a HEQ5 mount. When purchased it came with a power station which only lasts for about 3 hours before it is totally drained, but at DSC i saw a lot of car batteries around which I assume was power supplies for various mounts etc. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what is required to power my mount and other accessories and what bits and pieces are needed.

thanks

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Nope, mine was a battery from a Citroen 2CV, oddly the HEQ5 has more power than a 2CV.

Mike

LOL!!

Tony, I use either a 55Ah or a 110Ah leisure battery, which will last for several nights easily. (£55 and £75 respectively)

Alternativly, I also have a 12v 6A power supply I got from Halfords. It is designed to convert mains to 12v witrh a cigarette lighter socket to run 12v devices whislt at home.

But, any power device that is 12V to 13.8V and a minimum of 5A will be fine (they say 2A but I found that wasnt enough).
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

is there a requirement for the psu to be regulated? Not a problem running from a battery, but an unregulated mains wall-wart could kill the kit if it's not protected. This is certainly the case for my Vixen.

Whitters

Like Mike I use 110Ahr Car battery, with the cigerette lighter bits. I use Arctic rated cable(it stays bendy when all others are snappy) I also use 17Ahr 'Power Station' used to jump start your car, a lighter option than the 110Ahr.