• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Potential DSC Campsites

Started by Mike, May 17, 2010, 11:15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

OK, I am not keen on going back to Tuesnoad because,

1/ it has no facilities
2/ my batteries never survive
3/ i have got all the equipment for hookups
4/ Shitty field

Bit concerned you may offer to pay to have his drive in done! It would mean that Tuesnoad would be the new site!

Blacklands, is a bind when there are a lot of people making smoke etc etc, but i would not think just £12 a night extra is a reason not to go there and return to basics.

Ok, I know, if I don't like it, then I don't have to go, but I love our little group :cry:& would miss going away with them. I would probably struggle to Tuesnoad for 2 nights, but would not be keen.

Perhaps Rother will be found to be suitable. As I said on other post, I cannot make the June date

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Not that I am in a position to comment as I am not one of the regular DSC goer's but does anyone know if Tuesnoad still has sheep in field...it has been a while since we were there????

The big 'stopper' for me at Tuesnoad was the ship shit - used to pee me off kneeling in it at night etc. in fact the tent I used at Tuesnoad still stinks of it.... Toilets etc. not a problem (but I guess blokes requirements are different to women)... Things I like not many other campers, freedom to mess/ have fires etc. & of course skies. I would definitely be up for going there again if sheep poop was sorted...

What's the story with Pennies - used to love that as well great location & handy for Headcorn etc.

Fay

Straw toilet at Pennys!! Then again depends on how earthy one is :lol:

Mike

Fay we have no intention of going back to Tuesnoad. I personally have no intention of fixing his driveway for him, he should do that himself. If others wish to put in the money and effort that is up to them. The next uDSC will be at Rother Valley and if it is better than Blacklands we will use that from now on.

There are many other campsites out there and it is just a case of trying each one until we find one that is suitable for our needs and that we like.

We will also still have the ongoing search for our ideal site, i.e. a field with adequate facilities where we can pretty much do what we like.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Carole

Comments on various things above. 

I agree entirely with Fay's reasons for not wanting to go back to Tuesnoad and would only consider going there again if he fixed the entrance and installed a shower and hook up.  Funnily enough the sheep shit doesn't bother me.  But then I didn't end up kneeling in it.

QuoteFay we have no intention of going back to Tuesnoad
:D

QuoteCarol you should get hold of a fridge that uses gas
Mike I only bought this fridge very recently and looked at the ones that use Gas, and apart from being about twice the price, I felt they would take up too much space in my car. 

I would need to re-charge my batteries like Fay.

I hope the UDSC goes well, I won't be able to make it as I can't get out of the open day as I'm the one giving the talk, and don't really want to drive backwards and forwards.

Carole

mickw

A possibility for out of season DSCs would be to convince a site owner to allow us access and turn the facilities on.  Within reason, we may also  be ignored if we do not try to burn down to the earths core with thermite or to equal Meteor Crater with something that goes bang.

Somewhere like Rother Valley seems promising as they also have hard standings which would not cause damage to their pitches by cars, caravans or motorhomes, I think tents would cause minimal damage anyway.

As far as having access to full facilities during the in season months, we will be stuck with a bona fide campsite anyway.

Although another possibility for toilet facilities would be to hire a couple of Porta Shithouses for a farmers field, although electricity would be unlikely.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Mick - campsites are not allowed to be open for the entire year. I can't remember the exact rules but they have to be closed for several months of the year. Some poxy law to prevent persons from living in a tent all year round or something.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteMick - campsites are not allowed to be open for the entire year. I can't remember the exact rules but they have to be closed for several months of the year. Some poxy law to prevent persons from living in a tent all year round or something.

Quite correct, but the amount of time is set by the local council.
And can be as small as 1 day!!

Mac.

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on May 19, 2010, 12:18:13
Ok, I know, if I don't like it, then I don't have to go, but I love our little group :cry:& would miss going away with them. I would probably struggle to Tuesnoad for 2 nights, but would not be keen.

Ok so the sentiment here seems to be facilities, but get charged per pitch, so thats easy, we allways have Blacklands as a back anyway.  I'll do what I did last year and visit some sights at night and see what they are like. 

Can I assume electricity is a must?

Fay

I would like hookup Chris, as I have sorted myself out that way now.

mickw

I think the "Must" for electricity will end up biting us in the arse.

Not all campsites have hook up at every pitch which means there would be a need to book really early in the warmer months to make sure you get one, and possibly the winter also.

Nobody started out using mains power, and still have/use batteries, this is a relatively new thing.
I think hook ups should be preferred rather than essential.

And yes I would prefer hook ups, but can live without them.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I think it's couterproductive to rely on hookups. You all have batteries and we have access to a genny if Mac is also attending.

Hookups should be something that is a luxury rather than a necessity otherwise you will severely reduce your potenital list of sites.

Carole

Quotegenny if Mac is also attending

Well how much can we run off the Genny Mac?  Can I run my small fridge off it and charge my camera batteries?

Carole

Mike

Carole, your fridge would likely be well insulated and therefore keep it's temperature well overnight without power. Either that or go for Mark's method.