• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

deep sky camp :(

Started by Mike, Nov 28, 2008, 15:22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Friday was torrential at the time I would have been coming down.
I was on tenterhooks all weekend, thinking am I going to go or visit on Saturday. I only just about have the energy to put everything up when the car is on site. I would never have been able to carry it all from the car to the site in a lot of mud!!

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

doug

I really do think there should be an award for all those people who attend very wet and cold DSC`s without doing any imaging or observing, who manage to stay cheerful under adverse conditions and who stay the complete weekend.

Perhaps it could be presented at the Christmas meeting and allow the wanna-goes.. but didn`t... the opportunity to applaud and congratulate those who were damp... and their long-suffering wives who have to be with their enthusiastic spouses.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mac

QuoteI would never have been able to carry it all from the car to the site in a lot of mud!!

isnt your car  a 4*4 ?

you wouldn't have noticed any mud.

Mike

a) You probably have the best car out of all of them to drive across a muddy field and
b) You could have come down minus kit for a visit or for dinner

Your as bad as Mick, who has a winibego to stay in, but said "I've had enough" after only being there half an hour and going home.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mick has a medical condition & is waiting to go into hospital

Mike

Is that the reason why he couldn't stay?

Fay

I am thinking he would obviously not want to jeopardise his appointment, in a couple of weeks.

In my defence, in 15 years time, Mike, I think you would think again, going camping in those conditions :).

Fay 

Mac

Just to let people know how bad it realy was. here are a few photos.

Someone trying to get in to the field.

After this, we decided not to park in the field.

A local lad after trying to help us out of the mud.

I gave up cycling, just a tad to slipery.

After the rain stopped we decided to call for help.

We finally found out where the sound of running water was coming from.

And to say it was cold, even the dog was trying to keep warm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Lets not discuss Frodo being banned from the field :-(

Or the Pikey rabbit killers  :o

Fay

Chris, can you discuss Frodo & pikey's.....................?

Mike

Sorry that information can only be divulged amongst those that attended DSC ;)

MarkS

An extra special thanks must go to Mike and Cris who sacrificed the comfort of a cosy warm tent of their own so we could all have the benefit of a communal tent to sit in.

Thanks!

JohnP

Mike - All I can say is heaven forbid the day you ever miss a DSC... whatever the reason....!

Chris - Looks like Frodo was full of energy - I thought he was ill..... you must have looked after him well on the Friday or it was the sight of those sheep that 'pepped' him up....

Mac - Very good - I guess judging by those photo's it could have been a lot worse.... :-) It actually didn't look too bad in the Frodo Vid.... :-)

Doug...
   I really do think there should be an award for all those people who attend very wet and cold DSC`s without doing any imaging or observing, who manage to stay cheerful under adverse conditions and who stay the complete weekend.
WHY...? They do it of their own accord...

Still annoyed I couldn't make it down... looks like a fun time was had by all that attended...

Thks for the vids Mike...

John