• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 2nd to 4th August - Blacklands

Started by Mike, Jul 22, 2013, 10:38:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

The next DSC is 2nd to 5th August. It is a Bank Holiday weekend so we have one extra night.

Leon at Blacklands has advised to book up as soon as possible if you want a hook-up as they are going fast.

If anyone has a splitter cable it would be appreciated, even if you're not going if we could borrow it please.

Thanks,

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I've booked with hook up.  Not sure if I can stop until Monday as my husband will be away and no-one to look after the dog, depends if I can get some-one to keep an eye on her.  I'd bring her with me but don't think she would like to be tethered. 

Carole

Carole

QuoteIf anyone has a splitter cable it would be appreciated, even if you're not going if we could borrow it please.

I don't think they are very expensive, could this be something the OAS could buy from the Equipment fund?

Will you be taking the event shelter?

Carole

mickw

QuoteIt is a Bank Holiday weekend so we have one extra night

Er, only if you're in Scotland  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Les R

This is probably about the best opportunity for me to come along with my littlun also with it being school holidays. I'd not be looking at the whole weekend. (I would get hung drawn and quartered!) So probably just one night.

Is it a bank holiday? Thought that was at the end of August?

Carole

Make sure you bring your HEQ5 with you then Les and some-one can show you how to set it up. 

Carole

Kylee

Not a Bank holiday down this way lovey!!!!

I'm booking up now...save a space if you lot get there before me  :lol:

Mike

Quote from: mickw on Jul 22, 2013, 14:43:22
QuoteIt is a Bank Holiday weekend so we have one extra night

Er, only if you're in Scotland  :(

Oh bo****ks so it is. Oh well, 2nd to 4th then.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Uk camp site 1st week of the summer holidays, make sure you have beer...

Mike

Yeah it's unlikely to be conducive to astronomy but i'm sure it will be fun all the same.

doug

Rose and I have booked a pitch with electric hook up and we are going down early Friday morning .... we hope. Do you reckon it`s going to be `ot like it is now???

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Crikey! I can't remember the last time you guys actually camped over. Good on you.

No guarantee of the weather of course. It's been very changeable this week for example and forecasts have been wrong on occasion.

Ivor

I'm hoping to come along for Friday night, to confirm it's this place http://www.blacklandsfarm.co.uk/ Not the girl guide campsite

Mike

Ivor yes that's the place. It sounds like Doug and Rose will be the first ones there so when you arrive head over to where they are (presuming there is a space by their tent). It is going to be a busy weekend so the earlier you can get there the better chance you have of getting a spot near everyone else.

However, even if you can't get a tent pitch near everyone else there is nothing stopping everyone putting their scopes on one area. Just bring a long extension lead in case it's needed. Don't forget the EHU camping cable (and splitter if you have one).

Thankfully Leon doesn't have any silly rules about where you can pitch the tent so you can pretty much put it anywhere.

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Jul 22, 2013, 13:44:46
I've booked with hook up.  Not sure if I can stop until Monday as my husband will be away and no-one to look after the dog, depends if I can get some-one to keep an eye on her.  I'd bring her with me but don't think she would like to be tethered. 

Carole, wrap it up tightly in cling film and put it in the freezer. When you get home you can put it in the microwave on the defrost setting.

That's what I do with my cats.