• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

USB HUB Recommendations

Started by Mike, Oct 03, 2011, 12:57:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Can anyone recommend a reliable USB HUB?

I've worked my way through about 5 different hubs now ranging from cheap ones off eBay to expensive ones and none have yet proved to be reliable for astro imaging.

I had problems yet again this weekend at Mark's where I was losing devices on a constant basis. Having ports I wanted to remain as Comm1 or Comm2 change to Comm 29 and so on. It is really starting to piss me off.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

I use a belkin 7 port powered hub and it's never given me any trouble despite all the DSC's etc.

Mike

I've tried a Belkin and that wasn't reliable. Specifically which model please Robert?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

The Thing

I use a four port hub on a 10 metre lead from Lindy.com. Never had a problem in two years as long as it's powered. But it ain't cheap (£24.99).

http://www.lindy.co.uk/10m-usb-2-extension-4-port-hub/42630.html

Mike

Thanks for the advice. I've got a cheap Cerulian HUB from Maplin and have gone back to my old laptop. Completely fresh install of XP. All latest drivers installed. Devices inserted into USB HUB and then each HUB labelled so next time I will put them back into the very same ports. Will see how this goes.

Fay

My cables never liked my 13 hub Belkin!! Only worked when they wanted to
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Megrez

I use the D-Link 7 port hub (on Robert's recommendation) on the end of a 10m active extension.  So far seems pretty reliable under XP (didn't work under Win7 on mates laptop though) but comes with it's own power adaptor and 7 bright green LED's. I did have trouble with the 10m extension; which was due to my old laptop having USB1 ports (put in a pcmcia USB card to fix) and occasionally I have trouble finding a camera, but I think that's par for the course with the MX716!  I leave mine stuffed under my pier; so no danger of swapping leads.  Also get USB2 speeds on my USB 2 connections with a USB 1 on my old camera at the other end (I assume there are two hub chips inside) - as long as you plug your USB 2 items together at the right end it all works. £18 from Play.com.

Mike

Haven't tried it 'in the field' yet, but it's been on a test bed on the dining room table for a few days and it's worked fine so far. Hopefully this has solved the Win 7 problems.