• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet C/2006 P1 McNaught

Started by JohnP, Jan 10, 2007, 13:19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All,

Aparently - Comet C/2006 P1 McNaught is in Western sky just after sunset - It has brightened considerably in last few days as it approaches sun. According to people on QCUIAG forum it should be easy to see if you have a good western view.. Also would make a great photo opportunity.

Tonight looks like it might be clear early on so might be only chance...

John

Ian

got to be worth a try, I can see blue sky out of the window. I'd forgotten what that looked like...

It's pretty close to the sun now I think?

JohnP

Here is some directions for finding it tonight compliments of UKAI forum...

Tonight location is easy. First find Venus in the south-west - this is so bright it's hard to miss. P1 McNaught is a little over 18 degrees to the right of Venus more or less on the same level (it drops a bit the later you go). 18 degrees is a tad more than the width of an outstretched hand at arms length.

Cheers,  John

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

BAA electronic bulletin No. 00263

Further to BAA e-bulletin 262 this comet is now a spectacular object in the early evening twilight. Denis Buczynski reports that he saw the comet tonight from a site north of Inverness. In the evening twilight he estimated that the comet was as bright as Jupiter and a tail of several degrees was visible with the naked eye.

Over the next few nights the comet will be best seen in the evening sky. You will need a clear western horizon and should start looking as soon as the Sun sets. The comet should be obvious at an azimuth of around 240 degrees and the tail will be pointing almost straight up from the horizon. The comet is also visible in the morning sky at an azimuth of around 110 degrees around 30 mins before sunrise but circumstances are not as good as in the evening.

By perihelion on January 12th the comet could be brighter than Venus. It has been seen through gaps in the cloud so make an effort even if the weather prospects look poor. This is a rare opportunity to see a very bright comet.

Please send all observations to the Comet Section director, Jonathan
Shanklin (jds at ast.cam.ac.uk).

Nick James.