• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 (work in progress) 17.9.2010

Started by Carole, Sep 18, 2010, 12:52:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is still a work in progress both from the point of view of processing and also I took some shorter subs so part of the work in progress is to try to reduce the core and add more subs.  However as I haven't done much for a while I thought I'd post this for now. 

I took 2 hours worth last night, but DSS has only stacked 1hour 35mins, my first DSO from the Observatory.
Therefore:
1hr 35 mins of 5 min subs @ ISO 800, + darks, flats, dark flats and Bias
Modded Canon EOS 450D
WO Megrez 72 doublet APO F6

Mac

looking good.

The core's a tad burnt out, but you can recover that by taking the shorter subs and then use them for the core detail.

Mac

So is the first light from the observatory?

Carole

QuoteSo is the first light from the observatory?
Not quite, I did a Moon Mosaic, but this is the first DSO from the Observatory. 

As you know I was held up with the Pier adapter problems and then I have just spent almost a month away on holiday.

Carole

PhilB

Very nice image, Carole. Great amount of dust and other detail in the spiral arms.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Thanks Phil.  I've noticed the guiding was a bit off.  I think I know why that happened though, so hopefully next time I can rectify that.

Carole

MarkS

It's more or less impossible to get a decent image of M31 from the suburbs but you've got all the main features there.  Your capturing and processing looks good though it takes some effort to get the core looking right.

If you were to tackle this at Rother Valley with no filters you would be stunned at the difference.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark,

Despite it's shortcomings I am quite pleased with this as it's a big step up from my last effort (before guiding) and I know there is lots more I can do to improve it.  Had a crack at the core with shorter subs but not quite managed it yet, maybe I didn't do enough shorter subs.

What length shorter subs should I do, how many and at what stage do I merge them?  I did some 30 sec and 1 min subs but only about 5 of each.  

i.e.
a) when stacking
b) When both long and short subs have been stacked but not processed
c) after both have been processed.

I am inclined to think it might be b)

QuoteIf you were to tackle this at Rother Valley with no filters you would be stunned at the difference
Good thought, I keep forgetting about darker skies being the key to good images.  

Carole

MarkS

Carole,

Do full processing on the long subs and the short subs and then merge them carefully using layers in Photoshop.

Alternative is to first create a HDR (High Dynamic Range) image but I think this makes things more difficult.

Mark 

Carole

Thanks Mark, so you think merge AFTER you've stretched them in photoshop.

Just need to work out now whether I need 1/2 min, 1 minute, 2 minute shorter subs and how many of them I need to do.

Many thanks as ever

Carole

Mike

Experiment.

Trail and error is a damned good way to learn astrophotography.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Just need to work out now whether I need 1/2 min, 1 minute, 2 minute shorter subs and how many of them I need to do.

You can't work out what length subs to use - try it out instead and check the core doesn't burn out.  Just like Mike said: trial and error!

Same with processing - there are few hard and fast rules - just do what works best for you.

Mark

Mac

QuoteExperiment.
in a nut shell :cheesy:.

Try all of them.

10 images at 30 secs is only 5 mins!!

and 10 at 2 mins is only ....... you get the idea.

take 10 @ 30 secs and the work your way up.

all of them can be used, although you will probably find that something like 90 secs will probably be the better starting place.
as it will probably capture more of the core detail without being burnt out. if the central part is burnt out then use 60 secs.

also capture as many as you can. The more you get the lower the noise will be in the final image.

Mac

Fay

Carole, your M31 looked very good at the meeting, your best so far!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay, I think it looked a bit washed out on the projector screen. 

OK Guys, I get the picture (Pun.... yuk), about shorter subs, I was really only wondering whether there was a recognised rule about shorter subs, obviously there isn't.

I need to take some more shorter subs as I didn't do very many which is obviously why it didn't work.

Just waiting now for another suitable evening. 

Quote90 secs will probably be the better starting place.
as it will probably capture more of the core detail without being burnt out. if the central part is burnt out then use 60 secs
Sounds sensible, will give this a try. 

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Lets not talk abut dynamic range and layering then, it might get more complex about the exposures...

mickw

QuoteI think it looked a bit washed out on the projector screen.

Carole, everything looks washed out on the projector screen to some degree.
Don't forget that the projector is also magnifying a 15" image to about 5 feet  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteCarole, everything looks washed out on the projector screen to some degree.
Yes Mick, I could see it did the same to the other images, it's just that mine wasn't so good as others so it showed it up more. 

QuoteLets not talk abut dynamic range and layering then
It's OK Chris I know how to do layering, just wasn't sure at what stage to do it.

Carole