• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Best telescope for imaging at 1500-2000mm focal length

Started by RobertM, Jan 11, 2012, 14:37:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Well it is nearly astrofest time :idea:

I have the C11 but my conditions aren't conjusive to imaging at nearly 2700mm and f/10 is rather slow.  I was considering the TS SC Corrector but with the grief Mark's had I'm not willing to put the effort into something that might work and even then the focal length is a bit long.  It therefore looks very much like I'm going to have to take the plunge and sell the MN190 and commit funds to something else.  Looking around at what people successfully use I think these are possible options:

Build an imaging Newtonian and add a Wynne style corrector (not an inconsiderable beast) but the f/l is a bit short.
10" GSO RC - native 2000mm/f8 or 1320mm/f5.3 with reducer which is quite flexible.
Meade ACF 10" - native 2500mm/f10 or 1650mm/f6.7 with reducer
Celestron Edge HD 11" native 2800mm/f10 or 1850mm/f6.7 with reducer (could replace the existing C11)

I think the costs would end up more or less comparable but obviously the Newt is quite an undertaking.

Any thoughts on the above or any others I should consider?

Thanks
Robert

JohnP

why you selling mn190....? I thought that was meant to be a killer scope for astro stuff...

Rocket Pooch

Well the only think I will say is you can image at F5 with a ACF and AP67CCD on an APS chip if needed and all those scopes have issues.  I don't think there is a perfect one, or I would not still have 4 with one on the way for testing.

RobertM

What have you on the way for testing ?

IK seems quite impressed by the GSO RC's and am thinking that's one of the best options at the moment.

Will also see what comes up on astrobuysell.

RobertM

Quote from: JohnP on Jan 11, 2012, 14:56:33
why you selling mn190....? I thought that was meant to be a killer scope for astro stuff...

I've not written it off yet but it's being a real bugger to 'dial in'.