• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp prospects...

Started by Rick, Oct 12, 2004, 22:11:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Just 'cos I've actually not got anything clashing with DSC this time, the weather looks set to wash it away... :/

Oh well...

Mike

Yes the forecast doesn't look great. Still, last time the forecast wasn't great also and despite that we had several hours of nice clear skies each night.

Well if we can't do any astronomy i'm sure we will keep ourselves occupied (Ay Paul! :wink:)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

I have actually got myself organised this time.  I have borrowed a tent etc. but am wondering what happens if we know it is going to rain!  

Delphine

Also when are people planning to be there?  Sue and I are thinking of going Friday afternoon so that we can get the tent up while it is still light.

Rick

Friday afternoon so that we can get the tent up while it is still light

That is a good plan....

If I turn up on Friday, I'll be arriving in the dark. I'm more likely to arrive on Saturday.

Mike

Jeff and I will be getting there (hopefully) between 1500 and 1530. Don't forget that we now have the Society Marquee - this will be set up and will be a nice meeting point for everyone to gather and have a nice hot cuppa and keep warm whilst it is chucking it down outside!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Well the weather forecast today for the weekend seems to have improved somewhat!

Rick

Yesterday evening's forecast for Saturday had a big black cloud and lots of rain-drops landing right on Headcorn. So what's it saying now?

Mike

Now it's a big white fluffy cloud with no raindrops!!

Just a reminder - If anyone does fancy going but hasn't got a tent, we have a 4 man dome tent that we aren't using and you are welcome to borrow it.

[ This Message was edited by: Mike on 2004-10-13 16:10 ]

malcolm

Oh boy! Ive just looked at BBC weather for the w/e.  Black clouds and lightning Saturday.  Just black clouds Sunday.  "Fingers and toes" then for cold clear nights.  Could anyone in contact with Miriam and Jeff say not to bother with the spare tent for me.  I'll use my own.  Hope to get there about 16:00 Friday.  

Mike

Yes I spoke too soon !! Well if we can get Greg to come and then leave once it gets dark we will be guaranteed clear skies !! :wink:

I am giving Jeff a lift to the DSC so I will inform him not to bring the spare tent.

On another matter - does anyone have a 12v flourescent light or something similar we could rig up in the communal marquee for lighting?

malcolm

Mike I've got the very thing. It's two small tubes and run's off a car battery. it has aligator terminal clip connectors

Rocket Pooch

I've got one of those 12v lighty type things as well it will get there with me long after work :sad:

I'm an optomist its going to be great, even if we're all in the big tent playing cards :smile:

Anything to get away from the world for the weekend.  Must remember the gun this time!

Oh and the telescopes.

Seems like a lot of people are turning up as well, what about Greg is he comming out to play this time?

Rocket Pooch

Just in case there loads of raid I checked the following site for things to do http://www.kentdirect.co.uk/headcorn/

Also just checked three different weather sites all giving different forecasts, so I think it going to be the old "stick head out of tent method" for me!  Oh err!

Mike

Chris & Malcolm - Bring your gadgets along if you have room please. I shall use whatever gives the brightest light for the least amps.

Cheers.

Rick

Is that a patch of blue sky I can see, or just a different shade of grey?

Jim

Hi everyone, sorry I missed the weekend, down with a nasty cold.  Hope you had better weather then we've had here and got some seeing in.

regards
Jim

Mike

Jim and Rick,

Although it did rain overnight we had a generally dry weekend, despite the fact we knew it rained heavily in Orpington. We had a great time and got a good observing session in on Saturday night. We did wonder were you got to, along with a few others that said they were going to come and didn't also. You missed a good one ! Oh well, there's always next time.

Rick

Hmmmm... The wall-to-wall grey cloud Saturday, and the buckets of rain Friday evening, and the sore throat that's been bugging me all week all kind-of combined to make it seem like a not-so-good idea...

I'll look forward to seeing some images. :wink:

JohnP

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I couldn't make it also - I just hope that you had better weather than we did in Bromley - I'm amazed that you managed to do any imaging at all. Like Rick I'm also looking forward to the pics.

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

To those who we're their, we will remember Bambi!

Mike

Whitters

Mike

Has anyone lost an aluminium handle from a cooking pot? If so, we've got it as it ended up in with our cutlery.

Rocket Pooch