• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

January 20-23 DSC (2012)

Started by mickw, Jan 04, 2012, 09:13:29

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Good luck Mark!

I will join you setting up in the dark as I have an appointment late afternoon that I have tried to shift unsuccessfully (*not* an interview).

MarkS

Fay has arrived - says the gate code is .... [Removed].

MarkS

Also, you cannot take cars onto the grass.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Well last night wasn't great for astronomy. It was total cloud cover so we did a trip to the fish and chip shop and sat around eating that whilst drinking wine, beer and cider. Wasn't cold though. Temperature even around midnight was about 9ยบ which is pretty mild for this time of year. Here is a view of 'the village'. We have the entire campsite to ourselves. There are no other tents at all. Nine of us camped out last night and we are expecting to see Doug, Rose and Mac sometime today.

This morning we've all got up, showered, had breakfasts, etc. and are waiting for the clouds to clear. The sun keeps poking its head through gaps in the couds so hopefully it will start to slowly clear throughout the day. The forecast says it will start to clear at around 10pm tonight and we will then have it clear for the rest of the night. Fingers crossed!

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Weather's looking promising for tonight - except Meteoblue (high cloud)

Hope it clears up for you
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Wind forecast is not looking good for imaging :-(

Mike

This is our current sky.

It is starting to clear and brighten up. But, as Mark says, the wind is picking up and it looks like it will be a windy night. Should be OK for wide field imaging though.

Carole

If you are the only ones there, have you been able to get them to turn the lights off?

Carole

Mike

I put some tape over the PIR sensors. That stopped them coming on.

Carole

QuoteI put some tape over the PIR sensors. That stopped them coming on.
Good thinking.

Carole

Mike

Well, for those of us that were patient enough to wait, we were rewarded with a clear sky last night right through to 2am when we packed up and went to bed.

This morning it is cloud/sunny. Everyone is packing up quickly as they fear it might rain. I don't think it will myself.

Overall it was a good weekend.

mickw

Glad it all turned out OK, sorry I missed it  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Lovely weekend my first since April 2011 I think!

I'm now at home making my way through the remainder of the beer :)

Will not be at the Feb DSC but March is a definate.

Mike what was the exposure, it was a murky night for here but I wondered how dark it is?

JohnP

good - glad there were some clear skies... Loving the fisheye lens Mike - the shot taken last night is really good.  John