• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M57 Again... I was hoping for M27 !

Started by JohnP, Sep 04, 2004, 06:44:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I was out again with my Tal a few nights ago & was determined to get M27 - I still didn't succeed after 1 1/2 hrs.....! This is getting real frustrating. I'm absolutely sure I was spot on with location but try as I might I just couldn't see it on my laptop - Maybe the Toucam just isn't sensitive enough or my exposures long enough - could possibly be a problem with light pollution - the moon was out. Anyhow I gave up in the end & decided to take 57 again - I think it's better than my last attempt - a lot more stars are visible - I catalogued most of them at mag 13 & 14 using SMP9. The background still shows a lot of noise though - I think I need to stack a lot more images. This is the result of 20 X 8 secs - I'll shoot a 100 or so next time.

Cheers,  John.

[ This Message was edited by: johnp on 2004-09-03 22:47 ]

Mike

Did you try stacking what you got to see what came out on the M27 images?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I did one of those tonight but the sky was quite cloudy.  Used the LX90 at prime this time.

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2004-09-04 01:19 ]

JohnP

Hi,

Mike - I've never bothered actually recording anything of m27 because I couldn't see anything in the previews - perhaps next attempt I'll go ahead & record regardless - It has to be there somewhere..

Chris - As usual your M57 is only 'marginally' better than mine... ha! ha! Wait till I get the 1004 JG up & running (hopefully without blowing it up first)

Cheers,  John.

Rocket Pooch

No just thought I'd motivate you into finshing the camera :smile:

JohnP