• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory installation progress

Started by Carole, Feb 25, 2010, 17:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

It will take some weeks to prepare the area.  This is the progress so far:

My back garden, site for observatory is on the left (where the planks are) tucked behind the shed.  Can't be down the end of the garden as there are too many trees.  This will give me access to more sky than I currently have from the patio (where the house is in the way).

Viewed from the other direction.  (Remaining plants and compost have now been relocated).  

Today 25.2.2010
My son in law has installed the base of the decking which is what has been recommended by the makers of POD.  The pier will be cemented in.  Photo is a bit dark as it was raining (see rain drops on lens).

Mac

Ian

you'd better make sure it's level. Fay'll come round and check for you...

Carole

Today's progress:
Most of the joists are in and the template for the Pier has arrived.

Quoteyou'd better make sure it's level
note the spirit level sitting on the top.

N.B. my lawn is starting to be in a very similar state to Stairs Farm!!!!

Mac

would it have been easier to dig the foundations for the pier first?

Only you now have to dig out the pier foundations through the hole.

Mac

mickw

QuoteOnly you now have to dig out the pier foundations through the hole

The small hole  :-?

Unless the joists can be removed from the hangers  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Quotewould it have been easier to dig the foundations for the pier first?

Only you now have to dig out the pier foundations through the hole.
If I had been doing it I would have done it that way, but as I am not, my son in law decided this was the way he wanted to do it.  I think he wants to be able to lay/kneel (or whatever on the decking rather than the muddy ground) and he's also made some sort of temporary template.  

He seems to know what he's doing, he's certainly making a substantial job of the decking and has mugged up about Piers on the internet (as I had been trying to impressed upon him the importance of the depth and how the pier or concrete of the pier must not touch the decking etc) and assures me he fully understands the principal of how it works and vibration etc.  We're also going to be putting a membrane underneath to stop the weeds growing through the decking and he's going to wire it up for me.

I think I have to leave it to those doing the job, just so long as the end result is correct.  

Carole

Fay

Ian, chairman or not, I will not rise to the bait!    ;)
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

To dig a hole the size you are going to need is going to require a spade not a garden trowel. There is no way it can be done through that hole. Certainly not one to the depth require to make your pier stable.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Carole, If it helps I have one of these that you're more than welcome to borrow...

It's the only way other that a soil drill you'll be able to manage to get that hole dug.

Robert

Carole

QuoteUnless the joists can be removed from the hangers
Yup, apparently that is what he is going to do.

Robert, I think that tool will be very useful.  My son was going to borrow an implement from work (possibly similar), but I have a feeling it's not going to be here at the right time, so yes please.  Can I pop over this weekend and borrow it and also have a look at your observatory while I am at it.

I'll need a reminder of your address etc.  

Mike, the people supplying the Pier said 2' x 2' x 3' deep.  Template sits in the top 1'.

Carole

Tony G

Carole,

If you are having trouble, you can alway hire a petrol auger hore borer (page 7) with a 400mm auger, and there are a couple of Brandon Hire shops in West Wickham, or you may find it cheaper if you look around.

http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/downloads/directory_2007/13.pdf

Good luck.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

I notice that Brandon can also hire you a lawn scarifier.  Certainly I think this would keep the birds away but why not use an old fashioned scarecrow instead?

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

PhilB

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 27, 2010, 19:17:58
I notice that Brandon can also hire you a lawn scarifier.  Certainly I think this would keep the birds away but why not use an old fashioned scarecrow instead?

Er, Mark, I think you might get an official visit if you're caught removing birds from your lawn with a device that's basically a motorised rake! :lol:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein